247.203744 won't start

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
With a Briggs 33R877 0007 G1
Pulled the kill wire and it starts right up. Plug it back in, while it's running, and it dies.

So I removed the clutch safety switch and the PTO safety switch and tested them. Both test good. I pulled the clip out of the 4 pole seat switch and plugged it back in. And still can't get it to start. When I pull the kill wire, it fires right up, with no hesitation.

With a test light, I checked to see if there was juice going to through the kill wire. Not even a flicker while it's running or when I kill it.
Funny thing, when I turn the key off, after a couple of seconds, the engine dies.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I would check for continuity through the kill wire to frame, maybe some insulation wore off/chewed off somewhere. Not likely but it's happened before

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I know it is thanks giving but no reason for the brain to have a holiday
You are looking for ground on the wire not voltage.
If there was any voltage then the chip would be fried as well you know
So it is hook the test light to the + on the battery then go looking for a ground connection at each plug with the switches all disconnected
A faulty key switch could have a ground connection to the kill wire all the time.
And don't overlook the engine to mower plug

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I could have put PT in touch with two distributors that would have been a lot better for his business but he prefers to stick solely with Stens but that offer has expired. I couldn't publicly post this info as it is business to business only.

What PT also should get a test light from Snap-on that indicates both voltage present and grounds which help those that are electrical challenged.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you both.
There's something I'm not getting. How can a key switch shut an engine off, (2 seconds after turning the key off) with the kill wire disconnected? As in what's going on with the coil itself, to stop creating juice to the plug?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Double check your engine numbers as I coming up no such engine at Briggs.

Hello is anyone home today? Stop thinking about all that turkey and fixings that you may get tomorrow or have you already been dipping into that special sauce?

It probably because there is a anti-after fire fuel solenoid on the carb but cant as bad engine info posted.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Double check your engine numbers as I coming up no such engine at Briggs.

Hello is anyone home today? Stop thinking about all that turkey and fixings that you may get tomorrow or have you already been dipping into that special sauce?

It probably because there is a anti-after fire fuel solenoid on the carb but cant as bad engine info posted.

Sorry, it's a 33R877 0007 G1.

My thanksgiving dinner will probably be something along the lines of Burger king.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I reckon that is one of the hazards of not knowing how to cook. My turkey is thawing up, the fresh sage for the stuffing is drying in the oven. I got the turkey cooking turn over after my mother when physio with the butcher knife one year. Boy did she stabbed that turkey we didn't a carving knife. Funny though as she finished taking out her fustration the pop up timer popped up.

Tonight's it is freshly picked turnip greens and cornbread.

One suggestion is for you to get a couple of the Ruixing 846639 fuel solenoids on hand. I done seen three to fail so far this year. Btw they use a 12mm open end wrench instead of the 1/2" (13mm) one. I have yet to a Nikki one to fail electrically. A few Walbro ones over the years but that is expected out of anything electrical.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
One suggestion is for you to get a couple of the Ruixing 846639 fuel solenoids on hand. I done seen three to fail so far this year. Btw they use a 12mm open end wrench instead of the 1/2" (13mm) one. I have yet to a Nikki one to fail electrically. A few Walbro ones over the years but that is expected out of anything electrical.

The engine starts with the kill wire disconnected. So then tells me that the solenoid is working. Your advice explains why it dies a couple of seconds after turning the key off.
Since the engine still won't start, with the kill wire connected, even with carb spray, then unless I'm missing something (about the fuel solenoid), I think we can rule the fuel solenoid out.

BTW, I can cook. Just don't have the place or the time to do so.