1st post. Briggs 24hp 4460777 0302 (twin) loosing oil under the fly wheel?

Go for it. With the flywheel off, I would also clean the cooling fins. I just looked at the pic again, I would also clean up the starter drive and relube it.
 
Alright. Back together enough to run it. Hmmmm
Oil cap isn't dancing wildly but it is definitely dancing. Maybe bouncing 1/4 . I braced the motor to dampen vibration. Still dances.

I have a head gasket and can make a valve cover gasket. I did replace #2 head gasket already thinking it was the cause of the leak.
 
That does not sound bad. If you want to you could replace the head gasket, but I would give it a try and see what happens. What does your gut say?
 
That does not sound bad. If you want to you could replace the head gasket, but I would give it a try and see what happens. What does your gut say?

Ok, my gut said try it. Ran about 10 minutes with no problem.... then started blowing oil out the upper main seal again.

I'll probably have a new head gasket on the #1 side by the time you read this.

This is fun right?
 
Sorry to say, but not for me. I didn't think you would have to. Is is driving out the entire seal or leaking between the seal and shaft?
 
My best guess is that it's leaking between the shaft and the seal. I couldn't see anything wrong with the old seal. I was expecting to see a rip in it. The old seal was seated properly before I yanked it out.

Since the flywheel is in the way, I can't actually see the oil flowing out. I can only see it running down the block after it warms up. Again, it only happens after warm up.
 
:thumbdown: Replaced head gasket #2. Same thing. Runs for 10 to 15 minutes then starts spewing oil out of the top seal.

Thinking back...
I changed the oil a week before this started... could a faulty oil filter cause this??
 
Last edited:
Back
Top