1st post. Briggs 24hp 4460777 0302 (twin) loosing oil under the fly wheel?

Snipehunter

Threads
  • / 1st post. Briggs 24hp 4460777 0302 (twin) loosing oil under the fly wheel?
Hi, first time here. Hoping I can pick your brains and ya'll can point me in the right direction.

9 rear old B&S twin 446777 0302 Cub Cadet LT1024 (MTD Clone) w/ 465 hours use.
Dumping lots of oil, looked like it was #2 cylinder head gasket... oil pooling under head. Replaced head gasket... didn't fix it.

Just now realized the oil is exiting out the top of the engine, under the fly wheel and running down the block to the #2 head. I haven't taken off the fly wheel yet. Also, I'm working without a manual but I do have the parts break down. Is the upper (magneto side) oil seal accessible without removing the crank???? Can I get to it by removing the flywheel? Or... :eek:

Thanks in advance, neil

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, you can get at it by removing the flywheel. Yes, you can get at it without removing the crank. Can you do it successfully? I don't know how good you are as a mechanic. If you try to replace it here are some pointers. 1. Be careful not to scratch the crank on removal, or you may be replacing the crank. 2. If you get it out successfully, you will need something like a large pipe or seal driver, the same size as the new seal, to drive it in squarely. 3. Install the new one with a good assembly lube, not just motor oil. Post back if you decide to attempt this and I will get the torque specs for you.

Snipehunter

Threads
Thank you Rivets, I will be attempting it. I am mechanically inclined. White Lithium a good assy lube?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Be careful, flywheel torque is 150 foot pounds. White lithium will work as an assembly lube for the new seal. I would use it liberally. Take it slow on removal.

Snipehunter

Threads
The fly wheel is off. Wasn't sure which would snap loose first, the fly wheel or the puller. I've got to dig around for something to seat the new seal tomorrow.

Anything that might cause the seal to leak (blow)? Is there a pattern failure maybe??? Like a blown head gasket creating pressure in the crank case? Does the crank case vent? There is what looks like a vent tube from the crank case to the carb throat. Maybe that's it? It's not clogged. Maybe I'm over thinking this?

Here's a pic:

yardequipment026.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You've found your problem. After you install the new seal and get ready to run it I'll give you a simple test to check for excessive crankcase pressure.

Snipehunter

Threads
Thanks Rivets, tomorrow after work.

Snipehunter

Threads
The new seal is in but it's not all put back together yet.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here's a tip when you get it ready to run and want to check to if you have too much pressure in the crankcase. Start the engine and run at medium speed. Remove the oil fill cap and set it back down on the tube. If it bounces wildly you have excess pressure, probably blown head gasket. You should feel some pressure coming out, which is normal.

Snipehunter

Threads
Here's a tip when you get it ready to run and want to check to if you have too much pressure in the crankcase. Start the engine and run at medium speed. Remove the oil fill cap and set it back down on the tube. If it bounces wildly you have excess pressure, probably blown head gasket. You should feel some pressure coming out, which is normal.

Good info, thanks. I'll do that.

There is a breather assy. You can see it in the pic just south west of the oil seal with the tube coming out of the top. I've got a new gasket for it and now is the only time I'll have access to it with the fly wheel off. It there any reason I should take it off and replace the gasket?