Blades Major trouble removing blades

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
:smile: What size of impact are you using and how much air pressure? I have removed plenty of blades off cadet decks and various other decks that have not been off in years. I spray them with PB blaster let them soak for awhile and then use my 1/2" inpact at 130 psi. Never had one that did not come off. Try this trick, heat the nut and when glowing red, take a candle and soak the wax in between the nut and the threads. Then put the inpact to it. Don B.

I don't know if your asking me or him about the impact, but I use an Ingersoll Rand 1/2" at 90psi Heck my air tank is a 6 gallon 2hp 150lb max Bosititch and it works great.

003.jpg

iMower

Threads
You can go to an auto parts store where they "rent" tools (you pay a full deposit amount) and rent a "nut cracker" which us usually used on front end nuts. Always works, but you have to buy a new nut.

aeb1aeb1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Use a little finess. Cut the nuts with a Dremel, using a Dremel cutoff wheel. Cut on a flat as far as you can without cutting the bolt thread. You'll have to guess about how deep that is. You can make multiple cuts too and then try your impact tools.

iMower

Threads
While a Dremel is one way to remove a reluctant nut, not everyone has a Dremel and such a large nut will take quite a while to cut and require a lot of finesse to avoid cutting into the shaft threads. Also after trying everything that has been tried so far that has caused such frustration I would think that the fastest solution would be very desirable. A nut cracker will take less than 2 minutes and you can use one for free. After all of his previous methods had failed, even a flamethrower or atomic bomb would be considered finesse. :biggrin:

crazyhorse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mr Skizzot , Use a nut splitter.
I bought one from Sears Roebuck years ago.
It works like a charm after years of use.
Saves lots of time & knuckles too.:laughing:

Good luck with yours.

paulgee67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try Lithium Grease ,let it sit awhile an it will come lose.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: Ric, I was asking Zkizzot, about the impact. Take the Dremel and cut a slot in the nut, then take a cold chiesel and drive it down the slot. that will open the nut up and then remove the nut.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
:smile: Ric, I was asking Zkizzot, about the impact. Take the Dremel and cut a slot in the nut, then take a cold chiesel and drive it down the slot. that will open the nut up and then remove the nut.

I don't see having to go to that extreme. You can take the thing back to the shop and it will probably cost less for them just to remove the nuts than for you to replace them..

I think what has happened and I've seen a lot of people who think they know how to use an impact gun accidentally over tighten things and then it becomes a PITA to get thing off. It's just like asking what type of oil do I use in my mower thing. The torque thing is the same and it's easy if you READ THE MANUAL and do what the manufacturer says to do.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: Maybe that is a bit extreme. But is is evident, that several people have suggested taking it to a shop, and he's not going for that. Most people only read the manual, when something goes wrong. I have seen some incorrect information in some manuals. The old saying, when all fails read the manual. You are correct about the impact. Especially people that haved used hand tools all the time and never been exposed to impacts. Then all a sudden they get impact tools.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
:smile: Maybe that is a bit extreme. But is is evident, that several people have suggested taking it to a shop, and he's not going for that. Most people only read the manual, when something goes wrong. I have seen some incorrect information in some manuals. The old saying, when all fails read the manual. You are correct about the impact. Especially people that haved used hand tools all the time and never been exposed to impacts. Then all a sudden they get impact tools.

Yeah your right, reading the manual for some is like getting a burglar alarm installed after the fact. It's funny how some people think they know more than the manufacturer.
The thing is he can go to that extreme if he likes but one wrong tap could destroy the threads on that shaft and guess what, you ordering new spindles and there not exactly cheap and you're going to go to the shop to get the spindles so you can install them so why not just take the thing and let them remove the nuts and save yourself some money?????