How to remove rusty blade bolt?

cottom

Threads
An impact wrench will shake it loose, where a breaker bar may break it off. You can get a small compressor (mine is 3HP) and a 1/2 inch impact at Harbor Freight Tools for about $100. It's not as fast as the big commercial compressors, but I can pick mine up and put it in the bed of my pickup.

Rooster7

Threads
I know you got the bolt out but for anyone reading this thread, save yourselves the headache and go buy an impact wrench. It is a necessity for a do it yourself person with lawn equipment.

benski

Threads
I know this thread is quite old, but I thought I'd throw this in the mix. If you've got a bottoming tap of the right size, use it before you put in your bolt. Slobber some "Never-Sneeze" on the bolt before reassembly, assemble it, and then slobber a little more on the bolt head and any plates, washers, etc. Just having a thin coating on all the parts really slows down how quickly all this stuff gets "grass welded" back together.:biggrin:

Tbrady

Forum Newbie
Threads
Woo hoo thanks for the info!! Finally removed the blade on mine that has been a booger for a long time!!

DaveTN

Threads
I like that PB Blaster too! Works great for me. For rusty, stuck bolts I like to take a flat punch and hit on the sides of the bolt to jar it loose and help let the PB Blaster liquid into the threads. I recently bought one of those cheap, Harbor Freight electric impact guns mostly for blade removal. I had one blade bolt on a rider that looked as if it hadn't been off in 10 years! I thought...well, before I waste my PB Blaster on it, I'll see what this new, Chinese import impact gun can do. I used a black impact socket and blocked up the blade and hit it. Before I could say "Wow!" it had spun the bolt clean out. I've only used it a few times so far, but hey...I got it at a discount, PLUS 20% off on top of that. So, if I use it on a dozen mowers it'll be worth it. Beats pulling blades by hand.

benski

Threads
Too true! Anything to make life easier working on stuff is a great help.:thumbsup:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Friendly reminder about lubricating bolts. If you do it consult the charts in this forum. Lubrication by various lubricants reduces the torque required to stretch the bolt properly.
This can result in overstretched bolts which cannot produce the intended clamping pressure. Reduction of up to 40% should be observed depending on what lubricant is used.
This is well known hot rod information.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Friendly reminder about lubricating bolts. If you do it consult the charts in this forum. Lubrication by various lubricants reduces the torque required to stretch the bolt properly.
This can result in overstretched bolts which cannot produce the intended clamping pressure. Reduction of up to 40% should be observed depending on what lubricant is used.

This is something a lot of people do not know or just forget some times.
Thank you for the reminder.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Brucebotti

Threads

Would that apply for the blade bolts? I know it is important for head bolts, etc. If so, I better start paying attention...:smile:
Bruce