How to remove rusty blade bolt?

rekees

Threads
billcarolh, I don't know what a jack shaft is but when you used the word "torque" a light bulb went off in my brain and I remembered that I purchased a torque wrench 10 years ago. It's a good quality Craftsman 1/2" drive and 20" long. It should provide significantly more leverage than the 12" crescent wrench. So hopefully the torque wrench plus soaking the bolt will do the trick.

Muhammad I promise a photo of the infamous bolt :laughing:

kcn1947

Forum Newbie
Threads
After you do get it apart use anti seize compound on the treads. Also use on shafts with keys, such as the rear wheel attachments on lawn tractors. You will never have to fight with these again if you do this religously. Any auto parts store will have anti seize compound.

Dirtysailor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please do not use your torque wrench to remove a rusty bolt. It is meant to torque to a specific value when reinstalling fastners. You can and may ruin it removing stuck bolts. Use the PB blaster overnight and wipe down good then heat. Then give it a good wack with a hammer and it should break free.

countryfolks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try giving it a whack with a brass hammer ,works the same as a nail stuck in a board.Brass won't damage bolt head. Good luck

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Please do not use your torque wrench to remove a rusty bolt. It is meant to torque to a specific value when reinstalling fastners. You can and may ruin it removing stuck bolts.

This is absolutely correct... Never use a torque wrench, bend beam type OR ratchet type to remove any bolt or nut. It will damage it. They are very accurate if you use them as directed and do not lend them out to someone that will misuse them.
When getting sockets that are going to be subjected to a lot of torque or heavy use, get 6 point sockets. And as stated before use a breaker bar OR get an impact tool... either air powered, electric powered OR the most basic that you strike with a hammer while twisting. Like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html
Its only $6.99 but they will remove about anything. KennyV

rekees

Threads
WOW this has been an educational thread! As they say, you don't know what you don't know. Thanks for the heads up on the torque wrench guys. Appreciate it. :smile:

em14

Threads
Have you gotten that Rusty Old Bolt out yet? And if so, How did you remove it?:smile:
Leo

Threads
Ya gotta remember if it doesn't work the first time use a bigger hammer and if it breaks it needed replacing anyway!!!!:laughing:

rekees

Threads
Have you gotten that Rusty Old Bolt out yet? And if so, How did you remove it?:smile:
Leo

No not yet, Rome wasn't built in a day :smile: I have ordered a "Neiko Heavy-Duty 25" Breaker Bar - 1/2"-Drive - Chrome-Vanadium Steel" and "PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst 16 oz. aerosol" from Amazon.com. Already have a hammer & propane torch. So the end is near for the infamous bolt :biggrin: