How to remove rusty blade bolt?

rekees

Threads
"get rid of the crecent wrench , it will round the head of the bolt, use a good 6 pt socket with a breaker bar pb blaster is good as is kroll products"

Never heard of PB Blaster but they have it at Amazon.com so will try it. Have sockets but handle is too short to get good leverage. What is a "breaker bar"?

em14

Threads
"get rid of the crecent wrench , it will round the head of the bolt, use a good 6 pt socket with a breaker bar pb blaster is good as is kroll products"

Never heard of PB Blaster but they have it at Amazon.com so will try it. Have sockets but handle is too short to get good leverage. What is a "breaker bar"?

You can get PB Blaster at Automotive Parts Stores. Hardware Stores (ACE), etc., the same for breaker bars. A breaker bar is a long handle bar which has a socket connection on one end. Gives much more leverage but normally no ratcheting! A pc of steel pipe slid over the handle of the socket wrench works well ... just make sure it is longer then the socket wrench or you will not get any mechanical advantage.

Threads
:thumbsup:
sometimes you have to use a impact wrench

I have an electric impact wrench with a full set of impact sockets don't use regular sockets with an impact wrench, they could shatter.

Last edited:

rekees

Threads

I have an electric impact wrench with a full set of impact sockets don't use regular sockets with an impact wrench, they could shatter.

Oh I didn't know that. Will get set of impact sockets if I get an impact wrench. Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

bvillars

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take the deck to a local mechanic. they will usually do it for a few bucks. once off use grease when replacing.

jimbo64

Threads
You can get PB Blaster at Automotive Parts Stores. Hardware Stores (ACE), etc., the same for breaker bars. A breaker bar is a long handle bar which has a socket connection on one end. Gives much more leverage but normally no ratcheting! A pc of steel pipe slid over the handle of the socket wrench works well ... just make sure it is longer then the socket wrench or you will not get any mechanical advantage.

think i got breaker bar at Harbor Freight- always have used regular sockets with no prob- bars come in different lenghts-mine has flex hd which allows work at different angles- the longer the bar, the more leverage- i've also put enough pressure on a few bolts to snap them off so be careful, pb blaster can be bought at walmart :thumbsup:

billcarolh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having trouble removing one of the blades under the mower deck. Take the deck off the mower and place it on work horses upside down for easy access. The bolt holding the blade will not budge. Have put Liquid Wrench on the bolt and let it soak overnight then tried the largest wrench I have (12" adjustable). Have even extended the wrench for more leverage using a steel pipe but that bolt just laughs at me. Any suggestions?

Rekees, purchase a good brand of box-end wrench that fit the offending nut. Soak nut/bolt with 50%/50% mixture of Ketone and ATF fluid at least over night. When torque the nut DON"T exceed 65 fpt until you see movement. New Jack Shafts run around ten dollars. Good Luck!

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Once this bolt finally breaks free, I think you're going to need to post a photo. :biggrin: