ZTR or Tractor?

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
I knew that'd get you fired up Ric :) anyway like I was saying there's a lot of brands a variations out there try some different stuff out find out what works for your business plan. a lawn tractor is not very time efficient and time is money brother.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The toro 21" proline is the top of the line commercial mower.... Better than any other on the market

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Sorry, but this one is going to be a bit long winded

Since I got in to the lawn care / maintenance business a few months ago I've found I don't know as much as I thought I did regarding what equipment is needed to get the job done quickly and efficiently. I currently haul around a 30" Timemaster (which I'm still paying for) and a 22" Craftsman mower in a 4' x 6' trailer I just bought last week. I have found that this setup is doing OK for me for the moment, but isn't what I really need to become more proficient and somewhat profitable.

Had one of my customers ask me if I was interested in cutting his Synagog's lawn (he's the senior Rabbi) - which I am definitely interested in. However, he questioned me if the lawn mower equipment I listed above was all I had and if it was capable to handling the job? (I currently mow a 1/2 acre and 1 acre lot for two other customers). All of this got me thinking that I need to start seriously investigating a ZTR mower or a Tractor.

Well, I started looking and after the initial sticker shock I realized that this business is not cheap to operate if you want to make a REAL go of it. So, now I'm at a decision point - do I go out and sink a boat load of money into a ZTR or Tractor. OR, do I just pack up my things and go back to a desk job? I really hate being strapped to a desk, love working in the outdoors, but at my age (50) I find my tolerance for this Florida heat is really getting to me at times. However, other than a line of credit I have with TORO I have no money available to buy anything at the moment without racking up more debt.

I know there's money to be made, but the lack of cash to get better equipment is really holding me back. (I'm barely making enough to make end meet when you include my Military Penision and VA disability checks each month).

So, here's my main question "What do I really need in regards to a ZTR or a Tractor at this time?" 95% of my business is residential currently and I have what I need to take care of them. However, I don't go after bigger accounts and commercial accounts due to that same equipment.

Any suggestions? I may decide to fold up soon depending on what type(s) of advice I get on this. Now what I really want to do, but may have to in order to make ends meet.

Thans in advance - Bill

What is your budget right now?

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
The toro 21" proline is the top of the line commercial mower.... Better than any other on the market

I looked it up on the net, looks to be older, are they still being manufactured? Are these a common used machine at power equipment shops and Craigslist?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
No.... They are not. It has 3piece metal wheels with semi neumatic wheels. Super thick aluminum alloy deck. 3 speed HD gear box. Blade brake (best I've ever used easiest to work on) kawi 179cc engine with oil filter and large air filter, brush guard, greasable control arms and gear box. And so much more. For $1600 it really is the best..... They have used the same design for like 40 years improving features over the years.

Last year they changed the deck design haven't gotten a chance to use it but looks nice

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Snapper still the best push mower.

image-3718822795.jpg

Snapper Commercial CP215520HV honda engine

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
$4k
Only been at this about 3 months so money's not exactly overflowing on the intake.

OldSalt I think you can make it work with your budget. just comb the classifieds and keep bugging your local dealer, for nice trades ins. as far as the color of the paint you'll never know who makes the ztr its the old Chevy vs Ford argument, does it really matter buy what works best for you and your wallet can handle.