Z445 Fuel Solenoid and Battery Draw

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you post the wiring diagram you are using. I’m having a very difficult time trying to find a diagram for Z445 with a fuse block in it.

EastonRob

Threads
Here's a link to one, although I notice it's actually a Z425:

425WiringDiagram.jpg

And here's another, similar, diagram. Come to think of it, I'm not sure now why I thought this one was a 445. But it doesn't show the fuse block.

445DiagramPerhaps.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need four red wires going to this fuse block. According to the first wiring diagram you should have two hot leads coming from the battery going to the fuse block mounted side by side. F2 wire should go the the engine voltage regulator and F1 goes to the key switch.

EastonRob

Threads
Ok, that makes sense. I'm hoping the 425 is similar or the same as the 445.

So dumb question (perhaps): should all 4 connections on the "hot side" of the fuse block (the left side in the diagram above) be hot all the time? They'd have to be as they are all connected together, correct?

If that's the case, I still have no idea what I did wrong.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, only the two I talked about, coming from the battery.

EastonRob

Threads
Sorry, I know I'm not explaining it very well. Right now I've got the main positive batter cable going to the starter relay and the piggy-backed hot wire going to the fuse block as shown in my previous illustration. BUT, since all prongs are connected inside the fuse block on that side, all of those circuits are hot when any one of them is hot.

The pic below is the kit I used to rebuild the fuse block. See how it's a block of 4 connected, and then 4 individual prongs? Connecting that hot wire to any one of that group of 4 makes them all hot. I was almost sure that's how it was previously, although maybe that hot wire is supposed to go on the OTHER side, with the prongs that are not connected.

FWIW I disconnected that hot wire and got nothing when I tried to crank.

s-l400.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now that kit changes a lot, which we didn’t know before. Sometimes those connections between the terminals are cut, depending on the type of unit they are used on. Because I can’t see the other half of the first diagram, I’m not going to be of much more help. Sorry about that, but I’ll get bet most of the other techs here will be in the same boat, not enough information.

EastonRob

Threads
Sometimes those connections are cut? Oh boy, I took it on faith that that's the way it went in to the block. Maybe not. I REALLY need a 445 fuse block (and general) wiring diagram. I have a TM1499 manual in my shopping cart on a vendor site, but it's weird I can't find a pic online of that specific model either.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is that a JD kit or generic? I sure hope you didn’t burn something else out by applying power to the wrong parts?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you have the old fuse block?