YTH2448 won’t move

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The fan & the pulley are bolted together
that assembly sits on the input shaft
What you are trying to ss is if the the pulley is in fact turning the shaft on a 1:1 ratio
There are lots of ways to do it and the exact method I use depends upon how much space my fat fingers have to work in
So some times I put a white dot on the pulley & the shaft that align
rub=n the tranny for a couple of minutes under high load ( low engine revs full pedal in both F & R ) then check the dots still align
Some times I can get a pair of pliers on the shaft under the pulley and while holding the shaft try to turn the pulley
Some times I just put my finger on top of the shaft and feel for the shaft turning in sync with the fan
Your symptions would usually be 1 of the following which for me are roughly in this order
1) belt failure ( includes clutch idlers & springs )
2) pulley stripped on the input shaft
3) wear in the hydro controls ( includes debris build up around the transmission )
4) worn out transmission
The other 2 are loss of hydro fluid which is usually evident and owners omitting to replace the drive key in the rear axels ( all except MTD )

Its Me

Threads

Triton192, that little shaft that you speak of on the right side of the transmission is the break, if it has been setting in the weather, or washed they sometimes get stuck but if your is turning you should be good, to make sure that the little buttons on it are not stuck give it a little spray with some LPS, might follow that rod that disengages the transaxle to make sure that is moving the full length, got a lot of good information from the fellows, think them through, Joe​

Triton192

Threads
Thanks for the reply. I cannot get to the shaft because the casting extends up too high into the fan to enclose it. (See pic. What I can tell you is I tried to loosen the nut on the top of the pulley by holding the pulley and I couldn’t get it loose and that did not spin. Also since the shaft extending out of the right front of the housing turns I’m guessing it’s getting some drive into the tranny.

Triton192, that little shaft that you speak of on the right side of the transmission is the break, if it has been setting in the weather, or washed they sometimes get stuck but if your is turning you should be good, to make sure that the little buttons on it are not stuck give it a little spray with some LPS, might follow that rod that disengages the transaxle to make sure that is moving the full length, got a lot of good information from the fellows, think them through, Joe​

I cannot get to the shaft running from the pulley to the tranny. The casting extends up past the fan what I can tell you is I tried to loosen the nut on top of the pulley using the pulley to stop rotation and I could not get he but to move by stopping the pulley. Not sure if this gives us the info we need. Also the brake shaft that comes out of the tranny does move when it’s running and in forward or reverse. When I lock the brake the wheels won’t move so that should confirm we didn’t strip the drive keys.

grumpyunk

Threads
If you can move the mower with the 'release' lever in the normal position, not the push-me position, then internally things are either leaky or disconnected, or the release valve is not sealing properly.
Wheels on the ground, in N or any drive position, the internal motor is linked to the drive axles the wheels are mounted on. The release allows the pumping action of the motor(which SHOULD prevent movement) to be released to the sump. If the motor was leaky, with the release engaged in normal position, moving would be possible as the axles turning the motor and the pressure leaks instead of turning the pump.
With the engine running, the pump will be turning, and circulating the fluid from pump to motor and back to the pump, a closed system. Moving to any drive position opens a valve to allow pressure to work internal to the motor, alternating the pressure side to select direction.
Given that it worked fine with no slippage previously, and could not be moved with the release in normal position, the pump and motor would have to be in reasonable condition.

I think I would take a closer look at the linkage as it may have been disturbed when the belt was installed. A pump & motor can squeal if the valves are not sealed well, and are allowing leakage past something normally sealed.
tom

Triton192

Threads
If you can move the mower with the 'release' lever in the normal position, not the push-me position, then internally things are either leaky or disconnected, or the release valve is not sealing properly.
Wheels on the ground, in N or any drive position, the internal motor is linked to the drive axles the wheels are mounted on. The release allows the pumping action of the motor(which SHOULD prevent movement) to be released to the sump. If the motor was leaky, with the release engaged in normal position, moving would be possible as the axles turning the motor and the pressure leaks instead of turning the pump.
With the engine running, the pump will be turning, and circulating the fluid from pump to motor and back to the pump, a closed system. Moving to any drive position opens a valve to allow pressure to work internal to the motor, alternating the pressure side to select direction.
Given that it worked fine with no slippage previously, and could not be moved with the release in normal position, the pump and motor would have to be in reasonable condition.

I think I would take a closer look at the linkage as it may have been disturbed when the belt was installed. A pump & motor can squeal if the valves are not sealed well, and are allowing leakage past something normally sealed.
tom
I purchased an OEM a belt to rule out the belt being the issue. Seems like even engage the belt is fairly loose. I checked the idler wheels and they seem fine and the tension on them seems fine too. If that doesn’t work I’m afraid it may be internal because when the transaxle is engaged I can still move the mower which based on your answer means the valves aren’t sealing. The engagement lever is a Lu type funky too, seems like I have to rock the mower sometimes to get it from engaged to disengage. Don’t have a good feeling about this.

grumpyunk

Threads
Most of the engage/push levers have a spring to pull them so the mower will move. If the spring came loose, had the end rust off, or is blocked by bunches of clippings it will not seal. You may have dislodged a bunch of detritus onto the lever when installing the belt.
If you can't see it well enough to inspect, it may pay to remove the bolts holding the transaxle to the chassis so you can get a good look. The brake disc rotating should actually be linked to the wheels not the input shaft(pulley input) as it locks the wheels/axle from rotating via physical gears. I.e., the output of the motor turns a gear which turns the brake rotor and the axles. Lock the rotor, and the axles should be locked. The input shaft can turn in N, R and D, so, eh, having it turn the brake rotor is indicative of very little power being transferred from pump to motor to output shaft/brake disc.
tom

Triton192

Threads
Most of the engage/push levers have a spring to pull them so the mower will move. If the spring came loose, had the end rust off, or is blocked by bunches of clippings it will not seal. You may have dislodged a bunch of detritus onto the lever when installing the belt.
If you can't see it well enough to inspect, it may pay to remove the bolts holding the transaxle to the chassis so you can get a good look. The brake disc rotating should actually be linked to the wheels not the input shaft(pulley input) as it locks the wheels/axle from rotating via physical gears. I.e., the output of the motor turns a gear which turns the brake rotor and the axles. Lock the rotor, and the axles should be locked. The input shaft can turn in N, R and D, so, eh, having it turn the brake rotor is indicative of very little power being transferred from pump to motor to output shaft/brake disc.
tom
It’s all cleaned up and I’m
Manually moving the in/out gear by hand. Weird thing is when I put the new belt on and tested it worked. When I put the mower on it failed again. Taking last ditch attempt thinking maybe the belt is wrong and that’s the problem. Or your mentioned valve issue inside the transaxle

TobyU

Threads
It’s all cleaned up and I’m
Manually moving the in/out gear by hand. Weird thing is when I put the new belt on and tested it worked. When I put the mower on it failed again. Taking last ditch attempt thinking maybe the belt is wrong and that’s the problem. Or your mentioned valve issue inside the transaxle
What do you mean when you put new belt on and tested it.....it worked.

Did you drive it around the yard without deck and then put the deck on and it stopped moving??

Triton192

Threads
What do you mean when you put new belt on and tested it.....it worked.

Did you drive it around the yard without deck and then put the deck on and it stopped moving??
Unfortunately not. I just put it gear it moved back and forth a very small amount. Then put mower deck on and doesn’t work again.