Threads
  • / You WON'T Believe What Home Depot Is Doing To Their Customers
Something to consider.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Talk about BS statistics
If you feel like having fun work out the actual volume of exhausts of your leaf blower ( a tool I have always thought we could do without ) Capacity x revs x time then do the same for your vehicle and divide it by 2 because it is a 4 stroke
Note they used "avarage car " so that can be used to eliminate all of those 10Litre SUV's but even if the "average car" was a Diahatsu Charade or Suzuki swift with a 1200cc engine those numbers just do not stack up.
Perhaps "average" is a Prius

And to put some perspective on the 2,000,000 tons per year that would be about what is generated EVERY DAY at large airports and their emissions are far worse as most large jets spew out 100 gallons of unburned jet A1 fuel out the exhaust every time they take off , so a 4 engine jet = 400 gallons x 200 take offs a day on top of the exhaust , and remember jet fuel consumption is usually measured in tons per flight .
I have not seen a break down according to source for the USA but in Australia road transport vehicles ( car trucks & motorcycles ) is 13% of our total outputs . Home power equipment is 0.05%.
To put it politely
Urinating into the wind
But you can dress it up to make it look like there is a real benefit
FWIW
I drive an 2.4L L300 van on LPG
Cruising speed is 3000 rpm
so 3000 x 2400 / 2 = 3,600,000 litres of exhaust per minute
My mower is a 160cc Victa which runs at 3600 rpm
so 160 x 3600 = 576,000 litres of exhaust per minute
thus 1 minute behind the wheel is 6 minutes on the grass
For a average leaf blower I would go for 30cc although most I work on are less than that
so 30 x 10,000 ( few actually run that fast ) = 300,000 l/min
Thus 1 minute behind the wheel = 12 minutes behind a leaf blower

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Talk about BS statistics
If you feel like having fun work out the actual volume of exhausts of your leaf blower ( a tool I have always thought we could do without ) Capacity x revs x time then do the same for your vehicle and divide it by 2 because it is a 4 stroke
Note they used "avarage car " so that can be used to eliminate all of those 10Litre SUV's but even if the "average car" was a Diahatsu Charade or Suzuki swift with a 1200cc engine those numbers just do not stack up.
Perhaps "average" is a Prius

And to put some perspective on the 2,000,000 tons per year that would be about what is generated EVERY DAY at large airports and their emissions are far worse as most large jets spew out 100 gallons of unburned jet A1 fuel out the exhaust every time they take off , so a 4 engine jet = 400 gallons x 200 take offs a day on top of the exhaust , and remember jet fuel consumption is usually measured in tons per flight .
I have not seen a break down according to source for the USA but in Australia road transport vehicles ( car trucks & motorcycles ) is 13% of our total outputs . Home power equipment is 0.05%.
To put it politely
Urinating into the wind
But you can dress it up to make it look like there is a real benefit
FWIW
I drive an 2.4L L300 van on LPG
Cruising speed is 3000 rpm
so 3000 x 2400 / 2 = 3,600,000 litres of exhaust per minute
My mower is a 160cc Victa which runs at 3600 rpm
so 160 x 3600 = 576,000 litres of exhaust per minute
thus 1 minute behind the wheel is 6 minutes on the grass
For a average leaf blower I would go for 30cc although most I work on are less than that
so 30 x 10,000 ( few actually run that fast ) = 300,000 l/min
Thus 1 minute behind the wheel = 12 minutes behind a leaf blower
Small engines are the least of the worries, when you have rich uppitys flying around on private jets,telling us small engines are the problem

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now you US folks could have some fun here and send Home Depot letters asking their "environment officer" to justify his outrageous claims
Include the calculations for your own vehicles & tool then finish off with a comment to the effect of
"If this is the level of lies & deceipt that Home depot has stooped to the I must consider weather I or any of my family can believe anything you print and thus do our shopping elsewhere "
As Arlo Guthrie suggested
1 person is probably sick
2 people are sick & know each other
3 people is an organization
50 people is a movement and perhaps they will realize that while you can fool some of the people some of the time you can not fool all of the people all of the time .

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Now you US folks could have some fun here and send Home Depot letters asking their "environment officer" to justify his outrageous claims
Include the calculations for your own vehicles & tool then finish off with a comment to the effect of
"If this is the level of lies & deceipt that Home depot has stooped to the I must consider weather I or any of my family can believe anything you print and thus do our shopping elsewhere "
As Arlo Guthrie suggested
1 person is probably sick
2 people are sick & know each other
3 people is an organization
50 people is a movement and perhaps they will realize that while you can fool some of the people some of the time you can not fool all of the people all of the time .
Batteries whether they be electric vehicles, or mower and handheld equipment, are a government, media, corporate push. The term “follow the money” probably applies here also. It will be interesting to see how all this works out over the next, say five years.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is not about the environment. It is about politics, money and power.

Act accordingly

Did I trigger anyone?

"My battery powered mower is cleaner than your battery powered mower."

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It doesn't surprise me in the least. Just making us mechanic a thing of the past as it is with the electronics where only hand full can even repair the current equipment as can't even the parts we need. We are just use things until they break and replace it instead getting it repaired.

I just want to know what they are going to do all with all the batteries that will end up in the landfills. Most of the batteries are currently not recyclable. Plus many the smaller batteries that are listed as not thrown in the trash are thrown in the trash by the consumer.

At least with our gasoline equipment most of it is recyclable.

And like the vehicle tires. The local landfill was feeding us a bunch of lies about they were not putting them in the landfill and they were being recycled. Well one today I was unloading trash when I was them just burying them.

Most of this just exchanging where pollution is being done.

And we are most polluting animal on the planet too. We are even changing the planet's rotational axis tilt by sucking so much ground water. Back when I was a lot younger our days light here would usually end before 8 pm now just yesterday my days light was ending right at 9 pm. The time I was that was over 20 yrs ago when was in Dayton OH at a training useless class just to get a piece of worthless paper.

All this is causing our overall daytime heating in the summer months to go up. For the next three the heat index will be around 110 F. And probably by August we will approaching 115 to 120 heat indices. And we are already being warn power outages.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Batteries whether they be electric vehicles, or mower and handheld equipment, are a government, media, corporate push. The term “follow the money” probably applies here also. It will be interesting to see how all this works out over the next, say five years.

California Enacts Ban on Gas-Powered Lawn Mowers, Leaf Blowers

State claims an hour using a gas leaf blower makes as much pollution as driving a 2016 Toyota Camry 1100 miles, so it's electric lawn equipment only after 2024.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
And we are most polluting animal on the planet too. We are even changing the planet's rotational axis tilt by sucking so much ground water.

I seen this article about this in my FB feed yesterday. If it's true, it could be catastrophic.