Yard Machine turns over however won't start

94SupraTT

Member
model 13ah762f752
serial 1c206b20224

It is making a popping noise when attempting to start. Only thing I've done so far is change out the spark plug. I was hoping it was just fouled out. Changing and gapping the plug did not solve my issue. Help please.
 
Take off the valve cover and check the valve clearances. It may not be a valve clearance problem as much as a bent push rod, and possible moved valve guide, causing the bent push rod. Just something to check, may not be the cause.
 
Take off the valve cover and check the valve clearances. It may not be a valve clearance problem as much as a bent push rod, and possible moved valve guide, causing the bent push rod. Just something to check, may not be the cause.

How do I go about doing this? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but I've never opened any type of motor.
 
I just checked and I do have spark. So the motor turns over and I do have spark but it won't start.

Just for fun put a teaspoon or so of gas in the carb and see if it fires up

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))
 
Take off the valve cover and check the valve clearances. It may not be a valve clearance problem as much as a bent push rod, and possible moved valve guide, causing the bent push rod. Just something to check, may not be the cause.

This is a very late reply but you were right. The valves needed to be adjusted. I also had a flat tire which I could not get to rebead. I had the both repair for $90.
 
Back
Top