X-BLADES / CROSS-BLADE SET UP??

SweetPowder

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am new to the forum and ZTR mowers. I would like input regarding setting up X-blades / cross-blades from anyone who has set-up their mower(s) this way. Running a Kubota ZD1511 with a 72 inch side discharge deck with factory installed lift blades. I am interested in putting on (adding) a set of mulching blades to reduce the size of the materials being discharged. Should the mulching blades be installed above / on top of the lift blades, or below the lift blades? Thank you

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure it really matters, but I would put the mulchers up top. I wouldn't really recommend running double blades with a high lift and mulching blade combo though. It's going to sound like a freaking helicopter and throw the grass 3 to 4 mower widths and put a lot of strain on the belt and PTO. Your deck will likely quickly pack with grass too. If you're intent on using double blades I'd recommend running a combo of low lift blades and either a wavy mulcher or Gator-type mulching blades. If you do run double blades, they should be precision balanced and you should make sure that your bolts are long enough. Note that you'll be cutting lower so you'll have to raise your deck up a notch.

Instead of double blades I'd recommend trying a single set of Gator G5 or G6 blades. They reduce clipping size and still have enough lift to discharge well and provide a decent cut. They're wider than standard blades so they can get more of a "sail" or air foil on them. Basically, they're high-lift mulching blades. The G5 and G6 are the same design but the G6 is made of thicker steel for increased durability and are very heavy. Both are pretty heavy in fact and require a machine with sufficient engine power.

Ken22

Threads
I am new to the forum and ZTR mowers. I would like input regarding setting up X-blades / cross-blades from anyone who has set-up their mower(s) this way. Running a Kubota ZD1511 with a 72 inch side discharge deck with factory installed lift blades. I am interested in putting on (adding) a set of mulching blades to reduce the size of the materials being discharged. Should the mulching blades be installed above / on top of the lift blades, or below the lift blades? Thank you
How did you make out with cross blading. Last fall I cross bladed my ZTR and it Sure a job on the leaves. I used the blades that came with the Gravely. Really hard on the clutch. This year I'm going to cross blade my 60" pull behind that has a manual engage.

breagler

Threads
I wanted to pass along my experience with "cross blade" setup that I use on my 2020 Hustler Fastrak SDX with a 60 inch deck. With a G6 gator blade on top and the standard Hustler blades on the bottom my clippings are 1/8 to 1/2 inch and discharge is three mower lengths away! I cut when the grass is dry but when I have to mow when it's wet it does not clump but there is more grass that sticks to the underside of the deck. I sprayed the underside of the deck with graphite or WD40 and that reduces the amount that sticks. In my area, South Louisiana, grass grows fairly quick and I do cut every week at 2 3/4 to 3 inches and I have not needed to rake or bag leaves or grass since I've used this setup. It does use a bit more fuel but not having to bag or rake is a huge plus in my book. I do precision balance my blades and make sure they are sharp, all the spindles are in great shape and the clutch is not hot or shows any sign of strain. I engage the clutch at 1/2 throttle and disengage at idle to save the clutch. The maximum rpm is reduced about 100 to 200 rpm using this setup but this has not caused any issues.

Hope everyone is well and stay safe my friends.

Last edited: