Workbench Ideas and Pictures

jc56

Threads
Hey guys!I need some ideas about a big,sturdy workbench.Has anyone used those resin legs from Northern Tool?If so,how did they work?Other than that,has everyone used 4X4 for legs.Any ideas and/or pictures would be great!Thanks guys.:smile:

Mower manic

Threads
Hey guys!I need some ideas about a big,sturdy workbench.Has anyone used those resin legs from Northern Tool?If so,how did they work?Other than that,has everyone used 4X4 for legs.Any ideas and/or pictures would be great!Thanks guys.:smile:

I recomend you through-bolt and glue joints with Gorilla glue. Be sure to read the instructions as the wood should be thoroughly wet to insure good adhesion.
4x4 and 6x4 lumber and levelers at the leg bottoms will provide a sturdy bench. Understand that pressure treated lumber shrinks a considerable amount in time. This means that you need to re-tighten the bolts as the wood dries. Also, p.t. 4x4s will warp more often than not, sometimes becoming extremely disfugured.
Having said that, I would not build a bench that was not pressure treated, if it was going to be in my garage or basement. So it's best to let the wood dry before construction and discard badly warped pieces.
You may not want p.t. boards, but for me, untreated wood is not an option.
Termites are like inlaws around here. They always show up sooner or later, and are a big dissapointment.

Bison

Threads
Why not Build it out of steel?

Mower manic

Threads
Why not Build it out of steel?
Steel would be the best material.
Finding a piece of plate for the top and gussets might be kind of a challenge if your work bench is to be of any size. Steel is great if you are going to be doing any welding as you can just hook your ground to the table when working on small pieces.
And if you build it out of steel your going to need a welder....everybody needs a welder.....:thumbsup:

jc56

Threads
Yeah guys....steel would be great.I really don't have tools (torch,welder,band saw) to build one of steel.I know a couple of guys that have the tools....but ...I just don't ask.Just funny that way I guess..lol.I am wrapping up a couple of things,then I will start on it.jc

Bison

Threads
I am building this free standing bench right now,..almost done
9' x 4' out of 2,3/8" drillstem with a 2" thick laminated top surrounded by a 2" angle iron edge.
I have so the feeling it'll out last me.:laughing:

Attachments

• workbench 001.jpg
    workbench 001.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 32
  • workbench 002.jpg
    workbench 002.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 30
  • workbench 004.jpg
    workbench 004.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 29

jc56

Threads
Bison...you are the man!!!That is exactly what I'd like to have...ship that thing to Kentucky..lol!!!jc:thumbsup:

fastback

Threads
Bison, you do everything in a big way. Nice bench, what is the height?

Bison

Threads
I made it to fit me,..40"

Mower manic

Threads
I am building this free standing bench right now,..almost done
9' x 4' out of 2,3/8" drillstem with a 2" thick laminated top surrounded by a 2" angle iron edge.
I have so the feeling it'll out last me.:laughing:
That'll work!
What kind of wood is the top....maple? Did you glue that or buy it in one piece? Are you going to mount a grinder or any other machines to it? Is that 2" pipe for the legs (drill stem?....sounds like it's tempered)?
Nice looking joints.