Won't start

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The majority of Scag machines have a cranking relay. when all the safety circuit parameters are correct, the electronic control module will allow a ground path for the cranking relay to close when power from the key switch in the start position goes to the cranking relay.
When a Scag with a cranking relay has a starting problem and the engine is cranked over for prolonged periods of time, the contacts in the relay get burned.
I keep a spare in my trailer along with the tools to remove the panel as the relay is under the panel close to the key switch.

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Replaced relay and thought had problem solved. Mowed twice with mower. After mowing yesterday parked in front of garden shed and blew the mower off. After about an hour decided I would park it in the shed and guess what? Turned the key nothing. No crank just like before. So I left it set out overnight as couldn't move 1350 pound mower by myself. Got on it early this afternoon and she cranked right up. Go figure. I don't know if this is another relay issue or something cooled down overnight and let it startup today. I am beginning to wonder about scag quality control and their mowers in general. I had a john deere for 20 years and never had a problem. I may be looking to sell this thing and get and look for what I hope would be a better machine.