Won't Run on New Gas - Will Run on Carb Cleaner

LarryJohnson

Threads
Can't figure out why mower won't run on gas, but will run on steady stream of carb cleaner. I've been using the old mower for 5 years with no issues. After a number of uses this year, it just stalled out. I assumed the gas was bad, so I emptied the tank, lines, and carb bowl. The only way it will run is with a steady stream of carb cleaner. I visually confirmed the fuel pump is pumping. Don't know what to do next..

Finally got it fixed. Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited:

LarryJohnson

Threads
i'd clean the carburetor.

Thanks for the reply. I sprayed 2 cans of carb cleaner through it trying to get the mower running on gas. Then I removed it, drained the bowl, wiped out a small bit of sediment and replaced. Is that not sufficient?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So this is how some folks clean carbs. Spray a little eye fire juice and call it a day.

Wondering on posts like the OP changed everything on the mower and it still won't run. Cleaned carb and new carb. Guess we need to ask more direct questions? As in how was the carb cleaned?

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't figure out why mower won't run on gas, but will run on steady stream of carb cleaner. I've been using the old mower for 5 years with no issues. After a number of uses this year, it just stalled out. I assumed the gas was bad, so I emptied the tank, lines, and carb bowl. The only way it will run is with a steady stream of carb cleaner. I visually confirmed the fuel pump is pumping. Don't know what to do next..
Hi Larry,

You need air, fuel, spark and compression to run a mower engine.

Your fuel system "could be" the fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel filters, fuel shut off valve, carb solenoid and finally the carburetor.

So you have air, spark and compression right? It runs on carb cleaner briefly? So what do you think is missing? Right, some gasoline.

Clean or replace your entire fuel system parts as needed.

slomo

Last edited:

LarryJohnson

Threads
no.
jets and passage ways need cleaned.

I pulled the carb again, took it apart and sprayed it thoroughly with cleaner. Hit all holes and all bits and pieces. replaced carb and it runs on gasoline halfway..it sputters.
no.
jets and passage ways need cleaned.

Did as suggested, sprayed every hole and bits and pieces. Carb is clean as a whistle. Managed to start on gas, but at full throttle sputters like it's on one cylinder. When I shut off the key, it revs at normal speed for a few seconds before shutting off.

LarryJohnson

Threads
Hi Larry,

You need air, fuel, spark and compression to run a mower engine.

Your fuel system "could be" the fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel filters, fuel shut off valve and finally the carburetor.

So you have air, spark and compression right? It runs on carb cleaner briefly? So what do you think is missing? Right, some gasoline.

Clean or replace your entire fuel system parts as needed.

slomo
No, it would run on carb cleaner indefinitely..and did so until I emptied two cans.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
What model engine is it?