WINTER STORAGE

Hustling

Threads
As a small engine mechanic I'm pretty familiar with the fuel problems we've been having the last few years. For winter storage I use Sta-bil fuel stabilizer in everything. Add it to the tank and run the machine long enough to completely circulate it through the carburetor. I don't have any starting problems in the spring. I also add it to my fuel cotainers, again no problems.

Best advice yet, add the stabile and drive around a minute and run for 5 minutes shut it off and forget it till spring. Start it once a month for a few minutes if it makes you happy. Some of the new motors seem to be more sensitive to old gas. I had a craftsman snow blower that did not get run enough and pretty much didn't want to start and run when I needed it to. On the other hand I have an old 70's Wheelhorse Horse rototiller and I think I could put terpantine in the tank and run it.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure on that as I add it to my gas cans when I buy gas. I think I use 2oz to 5 gallons of the red Sta Bil. You could look at the specs for your gas tank and approximate it from there. However I will say the previous owners of out house left us a bottle of "Honda" stabilizer that said it was made by Sta Bil. I've been dumping it in a huge shot at a time to the push mower and it doesn't seem to care. I don't know if you can add too much.

Yea, that is my main concern. If too much can harm. Thanks for the help!

itguy08

Threads
Yea, that is my main concern. If too much can harm. Thanks for the help!

No problem. The only thing I can say is before I got the rider, I was burning through a tank of gas per cut in the push mower so it was going in and out pretty quick. Didn't seem to bother it at all and I had to clean the carb (debris got in as I had no filter on it) a couple weeks ago and the carb was clean as a whistle other than some debris at the bottom.

Threads
This is my first year for electric start. What about the battery? I plan to remove it and store it on a shelf in the basement. How often do you top off the charge?

I have a portable "jump starter" that I have kept keep in the unheated garage or trunk of the car and it has never failed me after 7-8 years. I top off the charge on that about once a month. I know the clock is ticking and batteries do not last forever.

As far as gas goes, I always run the tank dry and use it in the snow blower. It is basically fresh gas year around. The generator uses 92+ so I do use stabilizer in that tank and I do not store more that what is in the tank.

I have had no problems with gas...so far...knock on wood ...etc.

I no longer have any oil/mix engines

Ps: Do you put your riders on blocks over the winter? Mine will be stored outdoors under a fitted cover.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is my first year for electric start. What about the battery? I plan to remove it and store it on a shelf in the basement. How often do you top off the charge?

I have a portable "jump starter" that I have kept keep in the unheated garage or trunk of the car and it has never failed me after 7-8 years. I top off the charge on that about once a month. I know the clock is ticking and batteries do not last forever.

As far as gas goes, I always run the tank dry and use it in the snow blower. It is basically fresh gas year around. The generator uses 92+ so I do use stabilizer in that tank and I do not store more that what is in the tank.

I have had no problems with gas...so far...knock on wood ...etc.

I no longer have any oil/mix engines

Ps: Do you put your riders on blocks over the winter? Mine will be stored outdoors under a fitted cover.

I keep all spare batteries on trickle chargers with auto shut off all winter can get them cheap at harbor freight takes nearly no electricity, blocks seem like over kill, and make sure your cover is vented

RaulMcCai

Threads
Varnishing. That's it as it regards fuel and storage winter or otherwise.
An anecdote:
I bought a 1990 Toyota pickup 4 cylinder brand new in 1990
Drove it as my main vehicle for years.
In 94 I Got a Bmmr and that became my regular transport
In 2003 The truck Which had been used the lumber yard truck and as a yard machine/glorified wheelbarrow had a carburetor failure.
I own a lot of acres with older trees to deal with so use was not too irregular.
I bought a used carb and hired a local mechanic to install it.
He told me that the old carb was so varnished up that there was no hope for it at all and tossing it was all there was for it.

Gasoline Varnish happens

Do with that what you will.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Varnishing.
He told me that the old carb was so varnished up that there was no hope for it at all and tossing it was all there was for it.

I believe your mechanic gave you bad advice.

fordman55

Forum Newbie
Threads
i allways use the "high test" "ethanol free" gas in all my equipment, classic cars and small engines. it doesnt ruin carburators and will be good in spring to start easy and not have problems. either that or i used to use "startron" gas additive to eliminate the ethanol problems.n as far as 2cycle goes , i buy the pre mixed ethanol free gas at home depot , or tractor supply.

broo

Threads
The only way for me to get ethanol free fuel it to get Shell 91 octane.

To that I always add Sta-bil, whether it's the last tank of the season or not. This way, the fuel is always treated. I don't go through that much fuel per season so it's a cheap insurance.

patrick_g

Forum Newbie
Threads
STABIL, STABIL, STABIL Use STABIL to treat fuel to be stored for very long, especially over a whole winter. If properly winterized for storage, running every few weeks or once a month is unneeded. Some folks remove the spark-plug(s) and put in some oil then crank the engine to spread the lube. They swear by the process. I don't do it and get good results.

Concerned for battery? How cold are your winters? Get a battery maintainer (not for charging dead batteries, used for maintaining the charge of a battery.) You live where winter temps are way below zero? Remove it and take it indoors A N D use a battery maintainer. Harbor Freight has them on sale for a few bucks every so often. I have several and never a failure. A couple more expensive American brands failed but not the HF units.