WINTER STORAGE

Threads
I started to run the mower out of gas and almost finished but then it started to sleet. :eek: Great timing. :frown: :confused3:

metz12

Threads
it depends where you leave your 2cycle stuff. if its in like a garage where it doesnt get to cold you just run the fuel out of the thing so the gas doesnt eat and crust up the lines. sometimes butting a bag around the engine to keep out some of the moisture is a good method. but running your mowers like once a week isnt a bad idea.

Threads
it depends where you leave your 2cycle stuff. if its in like a garage where it doesnt get to cold you just run the fuel out of the thing so the gas doesnt eat and crust up the lines. sometimes butting a bag around the engine to keep out some of the moisture is a good method. but running your mowers like once a week isnt a bad idea.

See I was thinking that it was a better idea to just run the gas out of the MOWERS because the gas will go bad (even if you run it once a week), and that is my most important equipment. For my 2-cycle stuff I was just going to run it once a week.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
See I was thinking that it was a better idea to just run the gas out of the MOWERS because the gas will go bad (even if you run it once a week), and that is my most important equipment. For my 2-cycle stuff I was just going to run it once a week.

There's nothing wrong with running your mowers weekly. If you run them weekly just leave enough gas in the tank to do so for a month. The other thing I have too ask is why do you think gas only last for a certain period of time. As far as your 2 cycle stuff I really wouldn't worry about those, the oils like Echo and Stihl and Homelite and most, all have fuel stabilizers in there oil.

Threads
There's nothing wrong with running your mowers weekly. If you run them weekly just leave enough gas in the tank to do so for a month. The other thing I have too ask is why do you think gas only last for a certain period of time. As far as your 2 cycle stuff I really wouldn't worry about those, the oils like Echo and Stihl and Homelite and most, all have fuel stabilizers in there oil.

Because everyone has been saying gas goes bad after 30 days. For example:
store no gasoline for longer than 30 days UNLESS you use fuel stabilizer on 4 cycle gasoline

But that is what I might do, just put a little gas in so I will use it up within a month.

MowerMike

Threads
I don't feel like doing a lot with it, so will it be OK just running it until it stops? And then just putting it away? I will get it serviced in February.

The problem is that little bit that remains in the carb float bowl can still be in contact with the jet and clog it up. It's very easy to just quickly remove the drain plug and then screw it back in, and you can catch the little bit of gas in a small bowl and toss it outside where it will quickly evaporate.

Threads
The problem is that little bit that remains in the carb float bowl can still be in contact with the jet and clog it up. It's very easy to just quickly remove the drain plug and then screw it back in, and you can catch the little bit of gas in a small bowl and toss it outside where it will quickly evaporate.

What I think I will do is just put a little bit of gas in the mower and run it weekly. That way the mower will be running fairly often but the gas will not have time to go bad. But thanks for the suggestion.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gasoline does not "break down" in a human lifetime.

You may notice issues if you have a tank full of gas purchased in winter and you start your engine up in the summer, or vice versa, as oil companies modify their formulations for a consant viscosity at seasonal temperatures.

The most volatile parts of the gasoline may evaporate over a period of months, increasing the "gumminess" of the tank contents, but this isn't likely to cause issues you'd notice unless you feed your engine a steady diet of old gasoline.

If the tank is not full, you may get water condensing in the tank at and getting trapped under the gasoline. Since the fuel line draws from the bottom of the tank, this may result in water in your fuel line, which will present a problem.

If that's the case add one of those ethanol gas additives to the tank, as it will allow the water to form a solution with the gas in your tank and you'll be able to get the water out of your tank, after which the gas, no matter how old, will run your engine acceptably well until you can fill up with some fresh or new gas.

Other problems if you drain everything are things (like gasket shrinkage, battery charge, or fluid-levels dropping due to small leaks) are probably going to be bigger concerns for your mower than gas.

I always fill everything to the very top and I never drain a carb because you can never get all the gas out and what's left will lacquer and screw everything up.