Will $5 a gallon gas change your mowing habits?

I am going to mow my lawn as normal, the diesel mower seems to be thrifty from my use so far.

I drive a lot less than most people for personal use, maybe 100 miles a month. I am kind of looking forward to higher fuel prices as most of my customers are in the oil buisiness. If they make money then they tend to spend more with me.
 
Didn't read the whole thread, so hope I'm not repeating anyone.
The Gulf oil spill was an excuse for the admin. to put restrictions on offshore drilling and production + even with proven safety records in Alaska, there are restrictions there, If we would develop all our own oil fields we could be less dependant on other sources. I also know of Natural Gas wells that were drilled in the 70s that have HUGE reserves, but have been capped for 35 - 40 years.

We need po push domestic production !

Our Gas went up $.26 in the last 3 days here in VA.
 
BKBrown,
When I was younger working the Gulf of Mexico we did drill alot of wells and cap them for sure. Most of the majors have proven reserves that can be brought online when the price is high enough to suit them.
 
...
The Gulf oil spill was an excuse for the admin. to put restrictions on offshore drilling and production + even with proven safety records in Alaska, there are restrictions there, If we would develop all our own oil fields we could be less dependant on other sources. I also know of Natural Gas wells that were drilled in the 70s that have HUGE reserves, but have been capped for 35 - 40 years.

...

I agree. It would not only help U.S. consumers but would help make world supply more reliable and less subject to these periodic disruptions that send prices soaring.
 
If you are in the oil business you will buy from the least expensive source... and if you also own some of your own wells, you most likely will only use those resources when the price is up to where you want it...
Thats the only bad thing about oil, it really is a global market. and will flow to where the $$ are...
Another thing to consider .. if the far east supply were to be cut off for some reason... a lot of our domestic oil would be exported to the highest bidder...

as consumers we are going to be there with the rest of the world trying to fill our tanks...
 
I have a Black & Decker rechargeable battery powered mower. The price of gas might put a dent in how many trips I make to the garden center for flowers, but not in my mowing!
 
I have a Black & Decker rechargeable battery powered mower. The price of gas might put a dent in how many trips I make to the garden center for flowers, but not in my mowing!

Electricity...& batteries
Harriet you are definitely one up on most of us... :smile:KennyV
 
Well we moved in here right at the end of mowing season last year and the neighbors are all retired and as such keep their yards immaculate so I don't know if letting the grass get taller will be at all acceptable! I will however start limiting my trips and getting as much done in one trip as possible. My wife has recently discovered shopping at Walmart online and having items shipped to the house for 97 cents.
 
It probably won't affect my mowing habits to much since I cut the grass when I can and if I can't get to it it grows a few extra inches.
 
Back
Top