Why no forum for Ryobi ??

videobruce

Threads
Ryobi USA advertised their mowers are US made. Comment on that?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If there was a need for a new subsection they would put one in. Seems you’re the only one who think it’s needed. I work on Fairbanks-Morse and McCormink-Deering Hit-N-Miss engines, but there is no subsection for them. Why, because there is no need. Looks like you are from the generation of “I want it and I want it NOW.” Things don’t revolve around your wants, so go somewhere else to pick your fights.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ryobi Limited is a Japanese manufacturer of components for automobiles, electronics, and telecommunications industries. It also sells printing equipment, power tools, and builders' hardware. Ryobi Power Tools and Ryobi Outdoor Power Equipment are brands of Techtronic Industries, used under license from Ryobi Limited.

Techtronic Industries Company Limited (TTI Group or TTI) is a Hong Kong based multinational company that designs, produces, and markets power tools; outdoor power equipment; hand tools, and floor care appliances. It pioneered cordless power tools powered by lithium-ion rechargeable batteries.

TTI manufactures in China, Vietnam, the U.S., Mexico and Europe, and in 2022, had annual sales of US$13.3 billion.

I would think they are assembled in the USA using a mix US and foreign made parts. Not 100% usa made.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW we get Yard Machine branded ride on mowers down here
When I decode the MTD model numbers I end up with Kohler powered tractor style mowers marketed as Ryobi in either the USA or Canada .
So in fairness Ryobi is really not all that different to Craftsman other than Craftsman does have service information , IPL's & some sort of replacement parts supply
Ryobi ( down here any way ) does not for most of what is sold retail
And on top of what Star has pointed out each division of Ryobi is an entity unto itself so there is not even a single web site to visit
Down here & apparently in the UK the importer or retailer is obliged to supply that information for how ever long it is needed
So almost identical machines could be under the name a dozen different retail / wholesale chains and again down here access to information is limited by requiring proof of purchase so they can tell if they are liable for your particular machine.
On top of that there are no Ryobi franchise dealers so no dealer network thus no need for after sales service above & beyond replacing a faulty machine during warranty period .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Don't we just love all the equipment in drag...

And it is getting where manufactures are doing just Bert said and that is they are no longer supporting their equipment beyond the warranty period. I just ran across a Briggs engine that Briggs no longer fully support even it was just over two years old. Needed a coil but none was available.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
We have a forum for electric and battery powered equipment. Not opposed to adding a main subsection for those brands.

I personally have a Ryobi battery powered mower that I bought for $75 on clearance. It gets the job done but the battery life is pretty short, not even enough to do the front and back yard of a 7500sq ft corner lot (of which maybe 1500sq ft is actual lawn).

videobruce

Threads
This isn't the 1st 'brand' that outsources products under their name. That should be a reasonj NOT to include the brand, especially since they are a popular and very recognized name. I understand the repair issues with the lack of parts, but HD will cover the warrenty. I know I alrewady used it for a string trimmer that developed a minor grease leak.

But the excessive 'bad-mouthing' here surely isn't necessary. (n)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
My problem with companies that don't parts is just that. They should be required to provide the parts and service info. As an independent shop I service about anything that I can get parts for. It is becoming a problem especially with battery powered equipment that the OEMs flat refuses to provide necessary repairs after the sell. I think mostly because Chinese plant builds a bunch of equipment, dumps it, and then destroy the factory so they can out with a new design.

Just ran into that problem with a Briggs engine that was only two years old. Their subcontractor went out of business shortly after making a run of engines so no parts are available even for the engines under warranty.

videobruce

Threads
Ok, I buy that, but just who (what level of government) should be responsible for the regulation and how would it be enforced? Capitalism and regulation don't seem to go together in this country,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Manufactures started years ago deciding when something was at it end life so they could force the consumers into buying new equipment. This only in their interest. One company I work insisted us service stop repairing that was 5 yrs or old so they could sell new equipment. Basically they wanted to keep their factories output near its max capacity.

For which government level office I don't know if one even exists currently. But like EU do have a system in place. It just like don't the right to repair laws in place either in the US so currently they can force us to use dealers with high repair rates. This is something that is slowly taking root again in the US and the sooner the better.