Why no forum for Ryobi ??

videobruce

Threads
Under the equipment category, Ryobi is not listed. Why??
Huge seller in this market (WNY) and huge with Home Depot. Surely a recognized name.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably because most techs feel that Ryobi is a throwaway brand. Most of us refuse to work on them. Difficult to get support and parts, and if you can find help, cost to repair is more than unit is worth repairing.

videobruce

Threads
But, that doesn't help anyone that has one and needs tips or general questions. Kinda narrow minded thinking. I had a issue with a string trimmer, it was under warranty and it was sent back thru HD which included shipping costs.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You just answered your own question, not worth spending anytime on, just return it. We’ve got to make the best use of our time and trying to understand and work on a throwaway product is not worth it.

CraigH

Threads
Under the equipment category, Ryobi is not listed. Why??
Huge seller in this market (WNY) and huge with Home Depot. Surely a recognized name.
The same can be said for Makita, DeWalt and many other brands, but then that's what the 'other brands' forum is for, or atleast that's where I'd be asking.

videobruce

Threads
What's the difference if the question is asked in the "Others" forum or in a specific forum? It's still asked.

So all of those names that are listed some of which I've never heard of and surely can't be very popular, none have issues of getting parts or having them serviced??

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And Ryobi string trimmer are nothing but Homelite in drag. And to Homelite line has really gone in the drink. They once was excellent machines but the last years they are just plain junk.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Throw away electric ____.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ryobi is not a make, it is a marketing brand
Ryobi can be made by any one of 1000 different factories as the manufacture is contracted out .
Most Ryobi products are designed not the be repaired right down to snap in parts that can not be removed without breaking them .
On top of that depending upon the manufacturere there may or may not be an IPL let alone any sort of repair manual or even specifications .
Like most I do not repair Ryobi for 2 reasons
1) can not get parts unless it is rebadged from a major maker
2) cost of repair almost always is higher than the replacement price particularly for hand held items
Silly example for an 18" walk behind
Blades $ 30
Air filter $ 45
Fuel filter $ 14 ( Aftermarket $ 6.50 )
Fixed rate service charge $ 45
New mower $ 110
Note these are $ AUS .
The Ryobi Aust only carry limited parts for the models they imported and all of the big retailers do direct imports for various Ryobi outlets in HK, China, Korea, Vietnam, The Phillipines & even USA all of which are considered to be "grey imports"
Ryobi themselves do not repair anything they just replace items that failed under warranty and sell off the returned items at auctions .

SO no real purpose for a dedicated Ryobi section

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Ryobi is not a make, it is a marketing brand
Ryobi can be made by any one of 1000 different factories as the manufacture is contracted out .
Most Ryobi products are designed not the be repaired right down to snap in parts that can not be removed without breaking them .
On top of that depending upon the manufacturere there may or may not be an IPL let alone any sort of repair manual or even specifications .
Like most I do not repair Ryobi for 2 reasons
1) can not get parts unless it is rebadged from a major maker
2) cost of repair almost always is higher than the replacement price particularly for hand held items
Silly example for an 18" walk behind
Blades $ 30
Air filter $ 45
Fuel filter $ 14 ( Aftermarket $ 6.50 )
Fixed rate service charge $ 45
New mower $ 110
Note these are $ AUS .
The Ryobi Aust only carry limited parts for the models they imported and all of the big retailers do direct imports for various Ryobi outlets in HK, China, Korea, Vietnam, The Phillipines & even USA all of which are considered to be "grey imports"
Ryobi themselves do not repair anything they just replace items that failed under warranty and sell off the returned items at auctions .

SO no real purpose for a dedicated Ryobi section
I actually dread it when a customer brings a Ryobi handheld product in my shop. As of next year I will no longer work on/repair Ryobi, Craftsman, MTD, Poulan, Troy Bilt, etc. handheld equipment. The success rate at getting them running is lower than it should be, the frustration level is often high, and the pay for time involved is low. Many of these, especially chainsaws and trimmers, have scored piston, rings, and cylinder (done).