Which Combo Kit

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looking to purchase a Drill/Driver Combo Kit. What model to Buy? Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita or RIDGID. What Batteries to buy NiCad or Lithium-Ion. Opinions on which to buy?

zmister11

Threads
Looking to purchase a Drill/Driver Combo Kit. What model to Buy? Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita or RIDGID. What Batteries to buy NiCad or Lithium-Ion. Opinions on which to buy?

I've always liked Dewalt the best. My dad owns his own construction business, and that's all he uses. They last him like 2-3 years and then the batterys get weak. But he uses it everyday. So that's what I use. Mines going on 3 years now and still works perfect.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

I would say they are all good brands. Its isn't the tool that will wear out but the battery's and at that point its just as cheep to buy another kit. As for myself I like the lithium-ion batteries better but they don't work as good in real cold freezing weather which shouldn't be a problem where you live.

RoperGuy

Threads
Lithium is the way to go there smaller, lighter, will hold a charge much longer with no "memory" meaning you don't have to completely kill your battery before a charge, not to mention a longer battery life over Nicad.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Love my Makita.

I had a Makita for about ten years and it was a great drill. I just don't know about the quality now how they are now. I also had the Porter Cable and it was a good drill years ago but again you can get them so cheap now that I just don't know about the quality.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lithium is the way to go there smaller, lighter, will hold a charge much longer with no "memory" meaning you don't have to completely kill your battery before a charge, not to mention a longer battery life over Nicad.

I checked out the DeWalt DCK240C2 today at Lowes and they are smaller tools and batteries and a lot lighter. Lithium is the way I want to go. Just trying to get a set that will last a while in the new job.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a Makita for about ten years and it was a great drill. I just don't know about the quality now how they are now. I also had the Porter Cable and it was a good drill years ago but again you can get them so cheap now that I just don't know about the quality.

It is still good quality stuff! Feals nice and isn't heavy. It even comes with thow batteries. The nicest thing is that Makita makes hundreds of other tools that you can use your battery on, hedge trimmer, trimmer, sawzall, bike, lamps, drills, more drills, impacts, saws, etc. Lithium battery is great. Nimh and Nicad are old technology now.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is still good quality stuff! Feals nice and isn't heavy. It even comes with thow batteries. The nicest thing is that Makita makes hundreds of other tools that you can use your battery on, hedge trimmer, trimmer, sawzall, bike, lamps, drills, more drills, impacts, saws, etc. Lithium battery is great. Nimh and Nicad are old technology now.

I've got a set of DeWalt now with the Nicad batteries and it does a really good job and the batteries seem to last a long while but I really want to upgrade to the lithium. I'm leaning toward the Dewalt I mentioned but I wonder just how much of a difference there is between the 1.3 and 1.5 amp hr batteries, if there's enough to really make that much of a difference for the way I'd be using the drill and driver.

The reviews on HD and Lowes are great on all the drill and driver combos that I mention so that really doesn't help me much.

Last edited:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I say no to rigid I got a combo drill/driver/radio for a good deal the batteries lasted two years I sold my dewalt drill when I bought the combo it was 6 years old and the batteries hardly ever died... I regret selling that.

Before you buy look into the cost of replacing/fixing batteries for the brand you choose. The rigid were $75 ea to replace so I just didn't