Export thread

Which Combo Kit

Ric

Ric

Looking to purchase a Drill/Driver Combo Kit. What model to Buy? Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita or RIDGID. What Batteries to buy NiCad or Lithium-Ion. Opinions on which to buy?

Z

zmister11

Looking to purchase a Drill/Driver Combo Kit. What model to Buy? Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita or RIDGID. What Batteries to buy NiCad or Lithium-Ion. Opinions on which to buy?

I've always liked Dewalt the best. My dad owns his own construction business, and that's all he uses. They last him like 2-3 years and then the batterys get weak. But he uses it everyday. So that's what I use. Mines going on 3 years now and still works perfect.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I would say they are all good brands. Its isn't the tool that will wear out but the battery's and at that point its just as cheep to buy another kit. As for myself I like the lithium-ion batteries better but they don't work as good in real cold freezing weather which shouldn't be a problem where you live.

RoperGuy

RoperGuy

Lithium is the way to go there smaller, lighter, will hold a charge much longer with no "memory" meaning you don't have to completely kill your battery before a charge, not to mention a longer battery life over Nicad.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Love my Makita.

Ric

Ric

Love my Makita.

I had a Makita for about ten years and it was a great drill. I just don't know about the quality now how they are now. I also had the Porter Cable and it was a good drill years ago but again you can get them so cheap now that I just don't know about the quality.

Ric

Ric

Lithium is the way to go there smaller, lighter, will hold a charge much longer with no "memory" meaning you don't have to completely kill your battery before a charge, not to mention a longer battery life over Nicad.

I checked out the DeWalt DCK240C2 today at Lowes and they are smaller tools and batteries and a lot lighter. Lithium is the way I want to go. Just trying to get a set that will last a while in the new job.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I had a Makita for about ten years and it was a great drill. I just don't know about the quality now how they are now. I also had the Porter Cable and it was a good drill years ago but again you can get them so cheap now that I just don't know about the quality.

It is still good quality stuff! Feals nice and isn't heavy. It even comes with thow batteries. The nicest thing is that Makita makes hundreds of other tools that you can use your battery on, hedge trimmer, trimmer, sawzall, bike, lamps, drills, more drills, impacts, saws, etc. Lithium battery is great. Nimh and Nicad are old technology now.

Ric

Ric

It is still good quality stuff! Feals nice and isn't heavy. It even comes with thow batteries. The nicest thing is that Makita makes hundreds of other tools that you can use your battery on, hedge trimmer, trimmer, sawzall, bike, lamps, drills, more drills, impacts, saws, etc. Lithium battery is great. Nimh and Nicad are old technology now.

I've got a set of DeWalt now with the Nicad batteries and it does a really good job and the batteries seem to last a long while but I really want to upgrade to the lithium. I'm leaning toward the Dewalt I mentioned but I wonder just how much of a difference there is between the 1.3 and 1.5 amp hr batteries, if there's enough to really make that much of a difference for the way I'd be using the drill and driver.

The reviews on HD and Lowes are great on all the drill and driver combos that I mention so that really doesn't help me much.

exotion

exotion

I say no to rigid I got a combo drill/driver/radio for a good deal the batteries lasted two years I sold my dewalt drill when I bought the combo it was 6 years old and the batteries hardly ever died... I regret selling that.

Before you buy look into the cost of replacing/fixing batteries for the brand you choose. The rigid were $75 ea to replace so I just didn't

Ric

Ric

I say no to rigid I got a combo drill/driver/radio for a good deal the batteries lasted two years I sold my dewalt drill when I bought the combo it was 6 years old and the batteries hardly ever died... I regret selling that.

Before you buy look into the cost of replacing/fixing batteries for the brand you choose. The rigid were $75 ea to replace so I just didn't

Basically replacing batteries isn't an issue. You can basically buy the new kits cheaper than buying two new batteries for any of them except the cheap stuff like Ryobi. I went through that when I tried to replace the batteries for Porter Cable, that's how I ended up with the first DeWalt.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I've got a set of DeWalt now with the Nicad batteries and it does a really good job and the batteries seem to last a long while but I really want to upgrade to the lithium. I'm leaning toward the Dewalt I mentioned but I wonder just how much of a difference there is between the 3.5 and 5.0 amp hr batteries, if there's enough to really make that much of a difference for the way I'd be using the drill and driver.

The reviews on HD and Lowes are great on all the drill and driver combos that I mention so that really doesn't help me much.

Nicad and Nimh batteries are fine. But, they discharge slowly when being used. With Lithium batteries (Lipo or Liion), the peak power is better and they don't discharge as fast when being used. Nicad and Nimh decrease in power in a linear way when in use. With Lithium, the power stays on a plateau and then drops fast at the end. Trust me on this.

Then end choice is yous. The more amps the better also!

Ric

Ric

Nicad and Nimh batteries are fine. But, they discharge slowly when being used. With Lithium batteries (Lipo or Liion), the peak power is better and they don't discharge as fast when being used. Nicad and Nimh decrease in power in a linear way when in use. With Lithium, the power stays on a plateau and then drops fast at the end. Trust me on this.

Then end choice is yous. The more amps the better also!

Nice to know. I new how the nicad did but I never used a lithium.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Lithium is great. I can go in details, but I don't think it is necessary.

Ric

Ric

Lithium is great. I can go in details, but I don't think it is necessary.

I'm definitely going Lithium but the problem with the more amps the better is the more amps, the more money or cost involved. For what and how I'm going to use the thing I think the 1.3 amp hour batteries will do what I need.

Ric

Ric

Well I ended up with or buying the DeWalt DCK240C2 so will see if it's as good as the old 18 volt DeWalt, it will get used tomorrow.

Z

zmister11

Well I ended up with or buying the DeWalt DCK240C2 so will see if it's as good as the old 18 volt DeWalt, it will get used tomorrow.

Nice choice. What are you using it for? Just occasional stuff?

reynoldston

reynoldston

You will like the Lithium battery's. The only time I ever have problems if I am driving 3 inch decking screws all day and then I which I have a third battery.

Ric

Ric

Nice choice. What are you using it for? Just occasional stuff?

I'm using it for repair work on my new job. It will get used on a somewhat daily basis for any number of odd jobs. I really like the contractors bag that comes with it. Makes it nice for carrying the thing around, a lot lighter than those thick plastic cases.

Z

zmister11

I'm using it for repair work on my new job. It will get used on a somewhat daily basis for any number of odd jobs. I really like the contractors bag that comes with it. Makes it nice for carrying the thing around, a lot lighter than those thick plastic cases.

Yep that's the same one I got lol. I like the bag as well, it holds some of my screws and a few other little things also.

Boobala

Boobala

Check out this deal @ Home Depot ........ LIFETIME WARRANTY on the BATTERIES & Tools.......I bought one 2 years ago never a problem BUT YOU MUST REGISTER THE KIT WITH RIDGID A.S.A.P. ....KEEP ALL PAPERWORK !!! takes a little time to get the registration from them but no big deal. ONLY problem is when getting a new battery under warranty, you have to RETURN the ENTIRE KIT , drill driver ( good or bad ) charger & carry bag, HOWEVER .... Some Home Depot stores will return the kit for you ( FREE ) & some stores will just replace the whole kit in exchange for the old kit............ It's worth a look @ your local H.D. Good Luck ...Boobala :thumbsup:

Click on link Ric ........ be sure to read the warranty on the Home Depot ad.

RIDGID X4 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit (2-Tool)-R9602 - The Home Depot

Ric

Ric

Check out this deal @ Home Depot ........ LIFETIME WARRANTY on the BATTERIES & Tools.......I bought one 2 years ago never a problem BUT YOU MUST REGISTER THE KIT WITH RIDGID A.S.A.P. ....KEEP ALL PAPERWORK !!! takes a little time to get the registration from them but no big deal. ONLY problem is when getting a new battery under warranty, you have to RETURN the ENTIRE KIT , drill driver ( good or bad ) charger & carry bag, HOWEVER .... Some Home Depot stores will return the kit for you ( FREE ) & some stores will just replace the whole kit in exchange for the old kit............ It's worth a look @ your local H.D. Good Luck ...Boobala :thumbsup:

Click on link Ric ........ be sure to read the warranty on the Home Depot ad.

RIDGID X4 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit (2-Tool)-R9602 - The Home Depot

Ridgid is made by Emerson and they make the tools for Sears and others. There a real good outfit, the only problem is I couldn't get or find the 20V lithium batteries with them. I could have purchased the exchange warranty on the DeWalt but It already has a 3yr -1 yr service-90 exchange and a 2 year warranty on the batteries. I looked at the Ridgid you posted, if it would have come with a the 20v I would have got it instead.