Where do you draw the line between a garden tractor and a compact utility tractor?

Quite simply, the presence of a ROPS is where the line is drawn. No ROPS? Garden tractor. ROPS? Compact tractor.

Well stated, but who determines whether the ROPS is installed? Tractor maker or governmental agency? Didn't mean to open a can of worms but as everybody here knows I enjoy controversy.
 
I remember seeing print ads that stated "SUPER garden tractor" (emphasis added) More worms to add to the can, huh?

And, wasn't the original 8n and the Mitsubishi D 2050 (mentioned in the new members forum) a compact tractor (minus the utility)? If a dealer puts an ROPS on one, is it now a CUT?

Didn't John Deere make the ROPS optional on some models? Were the ones with ROPS CUT's, and the ones without the option a garden tractor? :laughing:

Thanks, JD.......
 
First response on TBN says ability to carry 500 pounds in the loader and having 4wd meets the standards for CUT...
 
And, wasn't the original 8n and the Mitsubishi D 2050 (mentioned in the new members forum) a compact tractor (minus the utility)? If a dealer puts an ROPS on one, is it now a CUT?

Didn't some JD's make the ROPS optional on some models? Were the ones with ROPS CUT's, and the ones without the option a garden tractor? :laughing:

Thanks, JD.......

I have an NAA (Jubilee) which was derived from the 8N-9N Fords and despite all my literature and magazines I never knew those were considered compact. The manual for my NAA gives the shipping weight as 2550 lbs, without gas...compares closely with the weight of my 4210 with MFWD--2750 lbs.
 
I have an NAA (Jubilee) which was derived from the 8N-9N Fords and despite all my literature and magazines I never knew those were considered compact. The manual for my NAA gives the shipping weight as 2550 lbs, without gas...compares closely with the weight of my 4210 with MFWD--2750 lbs.

NOW you've done it! :laughing:

I always thought the large trikes (like McCormick-deering, and allis-chalmers) were 'tractors', and the 8n, the massey furgeson's of the era and the like were compact tractors. OY! :confused2:
 
NOW you've done it! :laughing:

I always thought the large trikes (like McCormick-deering, and allis-chalmers) were 'tractors', and the 8n, the massey furgeson's of the era and the like were compact tractors. OY! :confused2:

Here's another one to confuse the issue, owners manual for my NAA states hydraulic pressure developed is 4 to 4.8 gpm....I don't that would be enough to run a backhoe so that eliminates my tractor from being a CUT....RIGHT? :biggrin:
 
Well here's a John Deere H I had that was only 12hp. No ROP is it a garden tractor?:laughing::laughing:
 

Attachments

  • 100_2086.jpg
    100_2086.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 18
Maybe my Massey is a lawnmower but thinks it's a tractor, don't tell it any different because it might get an inferiority complex!:laughing::laughing:
 
Back
Top