When & How Often & How Much ?: Lime and/or Gypsum. Aqueduct ?

MowerMark

Threads
  • / When & How Often & How Much ?: Lime and/or Gypsum. Aqueduct ?
Hi everyone.

I have bags of pelletized gypsum and bags of Encap Lime. Haven't applied either in over a year. How much to apply of each and how often ? Which will help in a water shortage, if either.

Anyone ever used "Aqueduct" granules ? Will it help in a water shortage ?

possum

Threads
I have never heard of adding lime or gypsum without a soil test to see if you need it and how much. I would send a soil test to a university extension office and have them test it and tell you what you need.

MowerMark

Threads

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have learned an expensive lesson on my front 1/3 acre yard . It slowly died and weeds overtook. The little hand held Ph meters (cheapies) that promise to analyse your soil are IMO worthless. I finally gave up trying to find a free university source of soil analysis and found a pro in farmland. It cost me $50 for the big test, but could have been $30 just for Ph (acidity). The Ph of my front yard was 4.9 based upon 5 samples sent. That is screaming high and no wonder acid loving weeds crowded out the grass (mainly red sorrel). I had tried to control the weeds with Cross Bow but the red sorrel laughed and said "more please." The Ph scale is known as logrithmic which says each digit is many times higher than 1. Shooting for about 6.8 the lab said I needed 800 lbs of lime just for the front. I spread 320 lbs last fall and do notice the weeds are distressed. Anyway this lime thing is a biggie out here and I used to wonder why neighbors with yard service had pallet loads of lime in their driveways. Now I know. It reminds me of the old mechanics advice to lawn mower owners on maintenance. "Pay me now or later." The spreadable stuff here is $30 for a 40 lb bag (Calpril).

Last edited:

MowerMark

Threads
I have learned an expensive lesson on my front 1/3 acre yard . It slowly died and weeds overtook. The little hand held Ph meters (cheapies) that promise to analyse your soil are IMO worthless. I finally gave up trying to find a free university source of soil analysis and found a pro in farmland. It cost me $50 for the big test, but could have been $30 just for Ph (acidity). The Ph of my front yard was 4.9 based upon 5 samples sent. That is screaming high and no wonder acid loving weeds crowded out the grass (mainly red sorrel). I had tried to control the weeds with Cross Bow but the red sorrel laughed and said "more please." The Ph scale is known as logrithmic which says each digit is many times higher than 1. Shooting for about 6.8 the lab said I needed 800 lbs of lime just for the front. I spread 320 lbs last fall and do notice the weeds are distressed. Anyway this lime thing is a biggie out here and I used to wonder why neighbors with yard service had pallet loads of lime in their driveways. Now I know. It reminds me of the old mechanics advise to lawn mower owners on maintenance. "Pay me now or later." The spreadable stuff here is $30 for a 40 lb bag (Calpril).

What would you have done differently ? Empirically apply Lime sooner ?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mark, By empirically I guess you mean judgementally? If so , no, I would base it on a sample test. I currently have a landscape pro re doing my front. I will ask to see his "guage" and advise. I guess you may have an instrument? The other treatment I finally came around to is iron sulfate for moss which is also a problem here. I have 2 ea 50 lb bags I am going to selectivey spread on the moss covered patches. I do not know if the many landscape people here do just use judgement on the liming. They may have worked out a rythm of every other year or even the persistence of the acid loving weeds-don't know.

MowerMark

Threads
Mark, By empirically I guess you mean judgementally? If so , no, I would base it on a sample test. I currently have a landscape pro re doing my front. I will ask to see his "guage" and advise. I guess you may have an instrument? The other treatment I finally came around to is iron sulfate for moss which is also a problem here. I have 2 ea 50 lb bags I am going to selectivey spread on the moss covered patches. I do not know if the many landscape people here do just use judgement on the liming. They may have worked out a rythm of every other year or even the persistence of the acid loving weeds-don't know.

How does one test if GYPSUM is needed ? It doesn't alter pH.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gypsum...don't know if there is homeowner test. The test lab did present a whole slew of results, but only showed the acidic condition as problematic. I can dig out the 8x 11 sheet if you want some examples from the test report.