Wheel Horse 212-H

Skippydiesel

Threads
FYI -

Opening the drain plug on the lower right side of the transmission only allows about 2/3 of the oil to drain. The remainder of the oil only came out when I removed the transmission front plate & "filter gasket".

Note Take note of the position of the adjusting bolt cam on the bracket, in front of the trans front plate - this must be put back in the same position when reassembling and later used to "fine tune" the hydraulic movement control.

Exercise care when removing the filter gasket, a thin blade/scraper should be gently manoeuvred all round, front & back, and into the centre, otherwise the complex shaped rubber gasket (no longer available) will be damaged.

Using your favorite hydrocarbon solvent, wash the filter until clean, blow or air dry befor replacing. Use a good quality oil resistant gasket paste to reassemble. When assembling with gasket past/goo, I like to only clamp to finger tight - leave for 6-24 hrs befor final even tightening.

Refilling the transmission with oil is a time consuming process.
Isolate the seat safety interlock, so that you can run the engine & engage the drive without stalling. Lift the back wheels off the ground, Fill the reservoir with oil (I used a 15w-50). allow a few minutes for some oil to drain from the reservoir into the transmission.
Start the engine. Run at idle speed. Maneuver the forward/ backing lever slowly from neutral to full forward/back to full back - as you pass through neutral a large bubble will rise into the reservoir, showing that oil is draining into the mechanism.
NOTE: the wheels will not turn until sufficient oil has entered the transmission to do so.
This action must be repeated for many minutes - toping up the reservoir as the level drops and befor more air is sucked into the trans. Eventually the wheels will start to turn in response to the control lever movements. Keep going until there is no appreciable drop in the oil level.
Place drive lever in neutral. Lower back to ground. Replace seat interlock safety system. Top up reservoir to near full.
Drive mower for 30 minutes or so, checking reservoir level as you go and topping up as required.
Check for transmission leaks

Note: Although there were several times when I thought that no more oil was entering the transmission, the reservoir oil level continued to fall slightly over the next 2 days. The aim is to have the reservoir level static at about 1/2 full (do not fill to top of reservoir, as heat expansion will cause spillage/wastage).

I hope this will help others with a similar transmission