Wheel Horse 212-H

Skippydiesel

Threads
Good news! - As stated: Drained all the old 30W oil. Opened front end of transaxle (a lot more oil came out) found and removed "filter gasket". Cleaned filter ( new one not available in AU). Put everything back together as was. Refilled axle with a 15W-50 oil. Note: took a very long time for system to fill. Encouraged filling by lifting rear wheels clear of ground & running system at slow speed.
When system no longer took oil - test drive showed great improvement in forward speed. Tested system by repeatedly going up down very steep slope - all good! Transmission will "hold" in neutral on slope. Very pleased. This great old Toro will continue on for a few years yet. My thanks to my two helpers/friends Bert & Rivets for their great suggestions.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Congratulations, glad to hear the problem has been solved.

Skippydiesel

Threads
I would not go so far as to say "solved" - thicker oil is probably just taking up the wear, so I would expect the problem to appear again. I really like this old mower, so hopefully have put off the next transmission problem for some time.

As mower in great condition, I wonder (for the future) has anyone done a hydro transaxle transplant on this model?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depending upon just how bad the trans had gotten before the owner thinks it might possibly need a service , an oil change to 20W 50 has worked from 1/2 season to 4 years & counting .Glad to hear it is up & running .
We had a full foot of grass growth this last week so you would not want to be without it for too long right now

Skippydiesel

Threads
Hi Bert,

Transaxle oil changes - must confess I dont recall seeing this on the service schedule (have I missed it?)

Another confession - in the 10 + years I have owned this mower, I have only changed the trans oil (30W) once and that was when she had a heart transplant (from Onan to B&S) about 8 years back.

From your comments above, it would seem I have been very neglectful - will now schedule a trans oil change very 2 years (sound okay ?)

As for the grass growth - you will probably not be surprised to hear that I have a small stable of pre loved mowers, from 60 in down, so the T 212-H (my wife's favorite) is not critical to our maintenance activities.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It will depend upon the makes recommendations .
Some stipulate 200 hours and other up to 1000 hours.
Residentials have no service intervals for trans oil changes.
Our Kubota says 2000 hours for oil & 500 hours for filters.
Most times you do more damage by introducing dirt into the system when changing the oil than you do running on dirty oil.

Skippydiesel

Threads
No hour metre on my 212-H - she gets a thorough service (no short cuts) once very 12 months (more often if we have a great grass growing season)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According to Eaton their 750/751 hydros are non serviceable and have no service maintenance schedule.

Skippydiesel

Threads
Well there you go - a throw away job! Well mine has had,what I would call a basic servic, in that the filter has been cleaned (would have replaced it it they were still available) and oil changed. The "boss" mowed the lawns last night with it and pronounced it as good as ever (high praise indeed)