What mower do you use and why?

Graybeard

Forum Newbie
Threads
John Deere 4100 4wd with 52" deck. (Because it's Green!)

Mow 4 1/2 acres, looking to add a trail mower offset behind the JD, probably a Swisher 60", w/ Briggs and Stratton, about $1,500., wish I could affort the Honda engine, about $2,300.

hunting404

Threads
JD L130. We have 1.5 acres to cut. The 48" deck takes care of the job easily. 23 HP is pleanty to cut taller grass and pull a Poly cart around the yard for cleanup and hauling dirt.

wesk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a cub cadet gt 2550. Got it for shaft drive and strong transmission. Use it summer and winter.
Like the kohler command engine sound at idle.

JasonB

Threads
What mower do you use? Do you use it because of the price? Quality? Comfort? I'm currently window shopping for a new mower and I would just like to know everyone's mower of preference.:smile:

Hi

I run a various amount of mowers, I have a 1995 Agco Allis 1614H( Simplicity Built) with 38" deck, Kohler
14hp engine, really does a nice job cutting, also have a 96 Agco Allis 1920H with 48" deck, with 20hp Kohler
Command Engine, Good machine but is Semi -Retired as its climbing in hrs and is a little hard on gas.. Mainly r
runs my Power Broom.

I also have a 1995 John Deere 455 Diesel with All Wheel Steer, has a 60" deck, 22hp Yanmar Diesel and
in my opnion only does a great job cutting grass, also have the Hydrolic Dump MCS for Leafs. All Wheel Steer
really makes the tractor manuvaerable. One of my main tractors I maintain my properties with.

I also Bought a 2002-03 Kubota F2560 Front Mower with heated Cab and 60" rear discharge Deck. Going to be
my new Snow Removal Unit for the winter months. I like the Front Decks for close triming and manuverablity.
Will never be like a ZTR, but turns pretty dang close and has 4X4.

The Kubota replaces a Deere F1145 Front Mower. Nothing against the Deere F1145, it cuts great has 4X4,
Only Reason for replacing it with the Kubota is because I could not find a CAB or Snow Blower for it.
We will see how the Kubota works out, its in the Shop for some unexpected repairs.

May end up with an X744 or X749 AWS Deere a couple years down the road.

I am not a Big Zero Turn Fan, nothing against ZTRs, but I like owning a piece of equipment that you can do more
then one task with. Only ZTR, I would serious consider is a Walker with the MCS system or one of the Walker
"Super B's". I think Walker has the best ZTR on the market in my opnion only. Take Care Jason B

Will_C

Forum Newbie
Threads
My primary mower is a Toro Z Master, 52" deck. I got that beacause I mow 4.5 acres between two properties on a regular basis, I liked the machine, and the local Toro dealer is a friend and gave me a great deal.
I also have a 5' RFM for my Kubota B2620. My plumber sold that to me for a good price because he upgraded to a 6' model.
I have a Toro Super Recycler that has been retired since I bought the Z.
Will

Last edited:

Simplicity1

Forum Newbie
Threads
For riders, I've been a Simplicity owner for 18 years. I bought my first one (LTH 12.5 38" Hydro) in 1992 and ran it for 15 years, finally selling it to a co-worker for $400. Not bad for a $2000 purchase whose only problem was a nylon starter gear and an arbor shaft on the deck in all that time! It used the B&S Vanguard engine which was rock solid. I beat that mower - it was as much a brush cutter as it was a mower since we had just built a house in a rough forest clearing.

So I bought another one from the same local dealer our family has used for 40 years. This one was the Conquest model with PosiTrac and differential lock, hydro, 23 HP B&S Vanguard, 50" deck, turbo vac. What a difference! I have very hilly areas as well as very wet areas. The PosiTrac handles most of the issues without my having to think of anything. What it doesnt handle, stepping on the DiffLock does. Where I used to get stuck once every other mowing with the first tractor, I have never gotten this one stuck. It has the controls on the floor so froward and reverse are foot controlled. I didn't know if I would like this arrangement but I would never go back now!

As for the push mower, I bought a Honda HR214 self-propelled in 1985 and still use it. What an incredible machine. Someone using it hit a stone hard in the mid-90's so I had to replace the crankshaft but other than that it has been great. It is now relegated to mowing the edge of the pond, brook and steepest roughest slopes since the rider handles the rest of the 2 acres. I beat the snot out of that mower and it starts on the first or second pull every year. Although it was expensive, I certainly got my moneys worth.

indypower

Threads
I have a Poulan 16.5hp, 42" cut I bought last spring on sale at HomeDepot. I love it!!

miketetty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Everride Warrior. Tough machine. Tall pasture grass even no problem.

Eugene Onegin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kubota BX 2200 ,I can do 3 acres and only use a little more then a 1/4 tank .

Attachments

• tractor.jpg
    tractor.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

orangediesel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use a Kubota Bx2230, hydrostat 4WD with front end loader and 60" deck. I don't really need this big of a mower for my 3/4 acre, but the Kubota is the son I never had when I need extra muscle to move, dig, or level something. I cannot tell you how satisfying it is to move an 800 pound piece of machinery in the basement without running up the white flag and calling for help.:thumbsup: