What kind of computer(s) do you use to visit LMF?

What kind of computer(s) do you use to visit LMF?

• PC

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Macintosh

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Desktop

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Laptop

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Mobile Device

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
  • / What kind of computer(s) do you use to visit LMF?
Seems to me that a smartphone option should be added to the poll, in addition to the four choices already given.
Seconded! :thumbsup:

Mini Motors

Threads
I just built a new PC desktop machine. In the past, I've put parts from broken machines to make a working one, but this time, I had some insurance money from a car accident I was in, so I went all new. Well, mostly new. I had a case and a DVD RW drive w/ Lightscribe. The machine sits next to the HDTV, so I got a motherboard that has HDMI output. I used a Core 3 dual core processor, 3 ghz, w/ hyperthreading, so it acts like it has a quad core. 4 gb of ram, 500 gb hard disk, and a Blu-ray/DVD RW drive w/ Lightscribe. Running Windows 7 Enterprise. LOVE IT!!!

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I mostly use a desktop PC that I built -- it's a few years old and runs XP pro but I keep it tuned up. I also have a netbook but I usually just use that for email when I'm away from home.

Important elements of a good desktop PC:
  • HD monitor -- worth spending big $$ -- not the place to be a miser
  • Fast graphics card -- you can get a good one if you shop but pre-built machines rarely measure up
  • Lots of HD space -- it's cheap so buy it -- and get an external drive as well for backup
  • Memory - it's also cheap so why not lots of it?
  • Wireless keyboard and mouse

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I mostly use a desktop PC that I built -- it's a few years old and runs XP pro but I keep it tuned up. I also have a netbook but I usually just use that for email when I'm away from home.

Important elements of a good desktop PC:
  • HD monitor -- worth spending big $$ -- not the place to be a miser
  • Fast graphics card -- you can get a good one if you shop but pre-built machines rarely measure up
  • Lots of HD space -- it's cheap so buy it -- and get an external drive as well for backup
  • Memory - it's also cheap so why not lots of it?
  • Wireless keyboard and mouse

Everything you listed is in my desktop, the monitor has a HDMI input, as my graphics card has an HDMI output. I added my 1 GB card after buying the basic Dell 530, you can add a graphics card from the factory but they are way, way overpriced. Vista 64 bit will recognize no more than 4 GB of ram, or I would have more. Paid $635 with tax for the basic Dell with the printer and a 19 inch LCD, after adding more memory, the external drive, the video card, backup power supply, 23 inch monitor, the larger PSU, photo printer, etc. and after selling the 19 inch LCD for $100, I have about $1100 into my rig. Only way I can increase performance now is to add a better chip and that will result in such a small WinPerIndex I cannot justify the expense.

cubby

Threads
I got a Dell laptop for Christmas 2 years ago and I'm just getting the hang of it, soon I'll actually
learn how to post a picture.:smile:

Mini Motors

Threads
You'd be surprised what Windows 7 would do for you, JD.

Slater

Threads
Vista 64 bit will recognize no more than 4 GB of ram, or I would have more. Only way I can increase performance now is to add a better chip and that will result in such a small WinPerIndex I cannot justify the expense.

Incorrect. Vista 32bit will not recognize more than 4GB, 64bit WILL recognize more than that unless it is a motherboard or chipset limitation. I am assuming though that it is DDR2 Ram which is last generation and now really expensive to get, so I would agree that Windows 7 would be your best way to upgrade your performance as of now.

@Mini Motors... I think you forgot an i for your processor. Should be a Core i3 :biggrin:

My Setup:
Monitors: 2x 27" along with a 50" Plasma next to my setup for all of my BluRays
CPU: Intel i5 2600K Quad Core - 3.3gHz running cooling at 4.4gHz with a watercooler hooked up
Motherboard: Asus P67 Sabertooth
RAM: 16GB G-Skill RipJaw Series DDR3 1600
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 460 running in SLI
PSU: Modular 700W OCZ ModXstream
HDD: 2x 1TB in RAID...1x 1TB...1x 750GB Green Storage
OS: Windows 7 64 bit installed on Raid setup, OSX Lion installed on other TB drive
Keyboard: Logitech K750 Wireless Slim solar-powered Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech MX518
Case: Modded Antec 300
OD: Sony DVD Burner

Work
Dell Optiplex 720

Other:
HP Touchpad 16GB
Droid X
Lenovo X120e

Edit: On the RAM issue it looks like it is dependent on the motherboard you have.
http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/gaming/f/3344/t/19302941.aspx
Read post from jsktx half way down the page. So again, Vista 64bit isn't the issue, it would be your chipset. If you have 4 slots, I think you just need to have your bios updated and you can have up to 8GB, but DDR2 is still too expensive IMO.

Last edited:

Sammy the Red

Threads
Vaio desktop, running Win'98 2nd. ed.

Mtn.Mike

Threads
I lurk using a MacBook Pro 13" but we also have an IMAC, Macbook, Acer netbook and a Toshiba. When I want to get frustrated I use my Acer Netbook or my Toshiba running Windows.
Why anyone who used a Mac would go back to Windows is a mystery to me.

Just my 2 cents worth

Mike :confused2:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Two Dell Inspiron's laptops and two Lazy-Boy recliners, one for me and one for my wife. I have a dell Desk-top but haven't turned it on since I got the lap-tops. It's getting rare that the TV gets turned on anymore. Only way to go.