What is your favorite brand of small engine, and why?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / What is your favorite brand of small engine, and why?
Let's keep this to lawn and garden-type machines, single or two cylinder, two or four stroke.

My favorite is 4 stroke B&S, and here's why:

B&S, IMHO, are the longest-running, simplest, cheapest to fix, most abuseable engine on the market. Bar none.

I have never had luck with tecumseh. Constant carb problems, electrical problems, and the rings don't seem to last as long as they do on other brands. When the rings go, the oil thins out, and you end up siezing up, or throwing a rod. Just my personal exp. with them. You might have had better luck. I've owned 5 of them, and the best one is in my white snowblower. But, that one is starting to have carb problems, too!

The Japanese marques, like Honda and Kawasaki are strong, quiet, and reliable. For a time. But their carbs go to pot real quick. When you do have problems, rebuilding them is hard to do, hard to find the kits for, and very expensive. I've had 2 single cyl air-cooled Kawi's (both on JD's), and a Honda 5 horse I bought from a siezed pressure washer.

Two strokes, although they can really whip that crank around, also suffer from needing the yearly diaphragm replacement, as well as CONSTANT adjustments. New 2-strokes are a lot better, with the primer bulb system, but they are so politically correct with the carb, they aren't adjustable. So, when they inevitably need adjustment, you are screwed.

IMHO

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have had many 4-5 hp Teks, mostly in Craftsman brand mowers and snowblowers, all have been quite reliable, although I did have many carb flooding problems for no real reason. Current push mowers are 3 6.25 or 6.75 Briggs, and one Kohler. Have never owned a Kohler pusher before but I REALLY like the mower with that engine. Easiest starting, more fuel stingy engine I have ever had.

Would you say I prefer Briggs because I have 3 versus only one Kohler? To be honest, I have never had a lot of brand loyalty to small engines. I do have one '89 tiller (Rally by MTD) with a 5 hp Briggs. I cannot believe how relaible it has been...gets used 25 hours a year, all at full throttle, gets an oil change every late fall. Know what I have put into it over all those years of ownership?

THREE AIR FILTERS, SIX PLUGS, ONE SET OF BELTS, ONE STARTER ROPE. I cannot believe how reliable that tiller has been.....:smile: Best power equipment I have EVER purchased for the money. :thumbsup:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
....Would you say I prefer Briggs because I have 3 versus only one Kohler?....

Not at all! I have more teks than B&S, but I prefer the latter! Kohler is a fine brand....haven't had much to do with them, tho, since my dad's 76 Wheel Horse with an 8hp cast iron Kohler. Helluva engine, but again, carb issues.

JDgreen said:
although I did have many carb flooding problems for no real reason.

....my problem as well.

indypower

Threads
I like the Tecumseh on push mowers and snow blowers. They are always reliable and have had no problems with them in these applications. I always drain the gas and run them till they die at the end of the season and they always start right up at the start of the season. For bigger engines, such as those in lawn tractors, I like Kohler and Kawasaki. Both are reliable work horse engines. Tecumseh engines bigger then 10 hp suck!!

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like the Tecumseh on push mowers and snow blowers. They are always reliable and have had no problems with them in these applications. I always drain the gas and run them till they die at the end of the season and they always start right up at the start of the season. For bigger engines, such as those in lawn tractors, I like Kohler and Kawasaki. Both are reliable work horse engines. Tecumseh engines bigger then 10 hp suck!!

I'd agree with you on the snowblower part. Their tendancy to end up running rich works out well in the cold. But, gonna have to stick by my original opinion about the push mowers....:smile:

Just so you know, I also drain my equipment's gas (and run out the fuel in the bowl) after the season's done. Doesn't seem to make much diff....:frown:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

If thats the case, I'm so glad the Tek on my genset is ONLY 10 hp....:smile:

jd335

Threads
i have had alot of b&S youst to race them on go carts but i have to say the kohler has been the best for me i have 2 of them over 10 years old and they don't give any problems:smile:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
If thats the case, I'm so glad the Tek on my genset is ONLY 10 hp....:smile:

I've got an 11 horse in that agway of mine. Can't get it running right to save my life....THAT one runs lean.....:rolleyes: and the starter is a hunka poop! I've rebuilt it several times (I refuse to buy one at $125!!!!), and the charging system isn't good enough to even recharge a AAA batt.......14 volts, but only 2.5 amps at full throttle.

jteuban

Threads
Stihl is the best brand that I have ever worked with (in trimmers, chainsaws.....)

But as for push/riders I love to use Briggs because there pretty cheap, easy to work on, and most important, they are reliable. I love any mower with a Kohler engine in it
they are great. Husqvarna and craftsman are prob the best.

I do not like Tecumseh, I hate the way the whole carb system is set up. The carb is Too low and gets gummed up very easy. I prob cleaned it out 2 times a season and I always use fresh super gas in my machines.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Stihl is the best brand that I have ever worked with (in trimmers, chainsaws.....)

I have an echo, used it for small chain saw duties for four seasons now - never a problem. But, like I said, when I DO have one, the carb isn't adjustable.....not even a little.

jteuban said:
I do not like Tecumseh, I hate the way the whole carb system is set up. The carb is Too low and gets gummed up very easy. I prob cleaned it out 2 times a season and I always use fresh super gas in my machines.

I agree. Seems the tank is always about 1/64th" higher than the carb......never flows right, then the needle gets gummed up, and it floods a bit, then you try to adjust to compensate, then you rebuild the carb.........on and on and on........