What is this weed/grass?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mow it down to ground level then as it start to grow again hit it with glyco phosphate which will deprive the plant of energy from photosynthesis .
Wait a couple of weeks and mow again .
Expect to be doing this all season.
Eventually the bulbs will have no energy store and will die off .
If you try to dig them out you will spread the problem unless you do it with a backhoe & send the soil to the tip.

Something else that can work is to make the soil very acid by adding Iron sulphate or make it very alkaline with lime water
builders lime is perfect if you can get it, but must go on as a milky solution
Try both and see which one has the best ( worst ) effect on the weed.
Plants require minerals to be either a cation or anion so if you change the pH the weed bulb will starve .
Other things that work well with bulbs is to saturate the soil then add some compost tea and cover with plastic.
This only works best on bad draining soils where the excessive water + the bacteria from the compost tea will cause the bulbs to rot .
You might need to water almost daily ( always in the morning ) so the soil is wet & hot all day .
Fresh chook poo also helps this process ( not processed poo as it has been steralized )

Born2Mow

Threads
Tell all the teens in the neighborhood that it's good stuff to smoke.

It will be gone in 3 days. ?

l008com

Threads
Tell all the teens in the neighborhood that it's good stuff to smoke.

It will be gone in 3 days. ?

Previous owner was a legit pedophile it turns out so I'm not saying anything to any kids in the neighborhood :p

I did pour some boiling water on some bunches today and stuck flags in them, we'll see how that goes. I think it might actually work. I just hope enough heat got down there to kill the bulbs not just the greens.

l008com

Threads
If the water only killed all of the above ground portion of the plants, but did not cook the bulbs, will they still die or will the try to quickly grow more greens?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They will just keep on growing.
Rot is about the only thing that will kill off bulbs which is what I mentioned a few days ago .

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you tried a propane weed torch?

This is what I was going to suggest but Hammermechanicman beat me to it. It ought to at least stunt their growth.

In the meantime, completely dig up a few. Fill the hole with good dirt and sow it to grass that grows well in your area and keep it watered. Good, thick grass crowds out a lot of weeds.

Don't get overwhelmed by the project. Do it one area at a time, first of all, to find out what works best, so you're not wasting time on methods that don't work.

Good luck! Our youngest daughter just bought a 5-acre place that half of the "lawn" part of it is covered with this stuff...and the other half is worse.