What is this weed/grass?

l008com

Threads
I had a post about this last year but had no luck. I took some fresh pics as it's started growing already.

This weed/grass starts growing way before anything else. They grow in bunches that are very... firm. When you mow the lawn and the wheels run over clumps, they are like speed bumps. This stuff is spreading through my lawn and I fear that if I do nothing, a few more years and it will take over the entire yard. It is far too wide-spread to dig up by hand. It would take me weeks to dig it up. There has to be some other way I can kill this stuff.

Attachments

• hottSiD.jpg
    hottSiD.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1925.jpeg
    IMG_1925.jpeg
    787.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1926.jpeg
    IMG_1926.jpeg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 71
  • WISeDO3.jpg
    WISeDO3.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 78

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With bulbs like that it is not a grass and not onion weed or nut grass.
Very hard to tell with just the bulb and the new shoots, could be any one o 10,000,000 + bulb plants.
Best to plant some in a pot and look after it till it flowers
Could be a very rare orchid .
Being a bulb it will always get a head start on the grass which has to re-germinate each year from the roots or seed bank.
Plants with bulbous root system a re very hard to kill with stuff like glyco and when you do the lawn still can not grow through it till the remaining bulbs decay & that can take several years.

l008com

Threads
With bulbs like that it is not a grass and not onion weed or nut grass.
Very hard to tell with just the bulb and the new shoots, could be any one o 10,000,000 + bulb plants.
Best to plant some in a pot and look after it till it flowers
Could be a very rare orchid .
Being a bulb it will always get a head start on the grass which has to re-germinate each year from the roots or seed bank.
Plants with bulbous root system a re very hard to kill with stuff like glyco and when you do the lawn still can not grow through it till the remaining bulbs decay & that can take several years.
The other pictures are pictures of this very thing, fully grown. All it does is create a grass-looking bunch. No flowers. And it's super wide spread and getting more so every year. If I have to dig all these up, this is going to end up being more of a pain in the ass than the constant crabgrass battle.

Born2Mow

Threads
In Georgia we have horticulturist assigned to every county. You can find them in the phone book under County Extension Agent. Bag a sample and send it to your agent. They'll ID it and tell you all about it.

Sometimes they'll even work from emailed photos.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might need to have a long talk with a hortoculturist .
IF you grass is being invaided with weeds all the time then there is something wrong with your soil or the grass you are trying to grow or the way you are maintaining it .

neely29607

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a post about this last year but had no luck. I took some fresh pics as it's started growing already.

This weed/grass starts growing way before anything else. They grow in bunches that are very... firm. When you mow the lawn and the wheels run over clumps, they are like speed bumps. This stuff is spreading through my lawn and I fear that if I do nothing, a few more years and it will take over the entire yard. It is far too wide-spread to dig up by hand. It would take me weeks to dig it up. There has to be some other way I can kill this stuff.
Looks like nutgrass to me. Roundup only top kills it and the underground bulbs gives it an early start next year. Image, Sedgehammer and other products will kill it but you should start by reading the labels as to timing and application instructions now so you can develop a plan of action. There is no overnight cure. Good luck with your project

gman480

Forum Newbie
Threads

I believe what you have there is "False garlic". I have a lot of it. I haven't come up with any answers either. Anything with a waxy leaf is hard to kill. From what I have read it is a protected species. Google or check with your county agent.

l008com

Threads
Based on a 'false garlic' image search, that doesn't really look like what I have. It really looks like wild onion.

So the other day, I hit each bunch with some weed b gone, which is supposed to kill wild onion. Anything that survives, I might just hit with boiling water. I read that's a good way to kill lots of types of weeds without toxifying the soil, so I'm going to give that a try next. Hopefully, with luck, there won't be much left to pour the hot water on but we'll see.

l008com

Threads
About two weeks later and it's not going well. All that shit is still growing strong, NONE of it is dead. I'm going to have to dig it all up which is going to be it's own pain in the ass because it's so wide spread and I don't have any dirt to fill in the holes with yet.