what do you lift your mower with ??? to work on !!!

been using 2x12 ramps but they get in the way trying to do anything.anyone use a chain hoist and jack stands ? seen acouple lifts but they are quite pricey. need your idea's please. Thanks, rod
*******************************************************************
For serious maintenance I put it up on four points for a convenient working height.

Since you already have 2x12s put it in your PU truck and have the wife hold the rear up while you place a couple of saw horses under the rear wheels.
 

Attachments

  • JD - up -clean deck -- l  -- 6-23-08.jpg
    JD - up -clean deck -- l -- 6-23-08.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 43
Re: what do you lift your mower with, Safety first!

I have a safety suggestion for the readers. I put a shackle in the towing tab on the back of my riding lawnmower and pulled it almost vertical with a come along attached to a rafter in my garage. I was welding something on the bottom of the mower, and never thought that gas would leak out of the gas tank under the hood onto the floor. It didn't take more than a minute or two before I had a fire blazing under the mower. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher close by and was able to put the fire out immediately. Moral: Gas will leak. A fire extinguisher will pay for itself sooner or later.

Wow, slip. Thank you for stressing the importance of having a fire extinguisher handy!
 
Another great tool I had was a cherry picker that the hyd bottle went south on. I welded the arm in a stationary position, drilled and attached deck spindle bearings shaft and pulleys on the end and at the crook in the arm. Then attached an electric winch to the base, ran the cable up to the first pulley then out to the end pulley then down to the mower. Great for us older mower mechs!!!!!!!!
 
hey - I bought this turf buddy jack online. Think it will be great for maintenance. Didn't break the bank either. Only $200. The you tube video totally sold me on how easy it is to use.
 
Back
Top