what do you lift your mower with ??? to work on !!!

oldyellr

Threads
You could probably find a bumper jack at an auto wreckers. Full size vans and pickup trucks still have steel bumpers.

ssgricker

Threads
I lift it by hand and use 7x6 cribbing so its secure.

vapoppa

Forum Newbie
Threads
with 70 hp tractor & 2600 lb loader for ferris 5100 zt.

Vern2

Threads
Pick it up with a front loader, from a welded hook on the bucket and chain around the front axle. D170 is 572 lbs with 2 1/2 gal of gas. Then I have my wife :eek: set in front of it with an impac wrench, it's about straight up in the air to change the blades, resting on it's back tires. I don't have room for a ramp, too many boy tools. My wife has used all the boy tools. Being a Tom Boy like my Marine Daughter, she likes the shop. Shop Link Yes, my daughteris is a better shoot then her dad.

D170.jpg

Vern

Last edited:

repeters

Forum Newbie
Threads
I put a 4 post car lift in my garage about 8 years ago and I made an adapter to drive the tractor on and the complete bottom is accessible. can change over from mower to plow in less than 1/2 the time it did when it was done on the ground. Plus I get to check out the complete underneath.

berniebenz

Threads
Talking about riding mowers, not heavy tractors or walk behinds, I use 2 x 6 ramps on 6 x 6 blocks, front or rear. If you run up to where the wheels are over the blocks one can turn /twist the ramps sideways providing full access underneath.

Also one can buy or weld up an axle lever lifter. Placed under the front or rear axle and forcing the vertical handle to the ground, it levers the axle up several inches and locks it there in an over center position.

earthworm

Threads
I think I'll try the automotive ramps and a floor jack combo and some strategically placed stands..This, of course, is not nearly as nice and convenient as a four post hydraulic lift...which could cost $30K, garage and all.

slip

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: what do you lift your mower with, Safety first!

I have a safety suggestion for the readers. I put a shackle in the towing tab on the back of my riding lawnmower and pulled it almost vertical with a come along attached to a rafter in my garage. I was welding something on the bottom of the mower, and never thought that gas would leak out of the gas tank under the hood onto the floor. It didn't take more than a minute or two before I had a fire blazing under the mower. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher close by and was able to put the fire out immediately. Moral: Gas will leak. A fire extinguisher will pay for itself sooner or later.

cabdor

Threads
I USE A WINCH I BOUGHT FROM HARBOR FREIGHT FOR $50.00 PLUS. WORKS WILL WITH A 2X2 STEEL TUBING ACROSS RAFTERS IN MY SHED. OF COURSE NEVER NEVER GET UNDER YOUR LIFT OR MOWER WHILE YOU HAVE IT OFF THE FLOOR WITH OUT JACK STANDS OR WOOD BLOCKING BE SURE TO MAKE IT SAFE. YOU CAN MOVE THEM AROUND TO HAVE ACCESS TO PARTS YOU NEED TO WORK ON. MY WINCH IS 12 VOLTS MOST OF THE TIME I USED THE BATTERY ON THE MOWER TO MAKE THE LIFT.
THIS WORKS WILL FOR ME. I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU LIFT YOUR WITH BE SAFE.

fastback

Threads
Depends on what I am doing. Tires, I use a floor jack. For general work I use my 4 post, ramp type car lift. This works great for steering linkage, belts and elecric clutch removal. I also use the lift to store tractors in the winter.