Weedwack or mow?

Tikal

Threads
I do not know how to change the "Weedwack or mow" subject up top:D

Which would make more money for your lawn business: push mower/lawn mower.
Suppose you had a job that you could just use a push mower and another you could just use a lawn mower, which would make most?

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Which would make more money for your lawn business: push mower/lawn mower.

What is the difference between a "push mower and a lawn mower"

Push mowers are lawn mowers... and a lot of lawn mowers are push mowers...
I'm lost in your question .... :smile:KennyV

Tikal

Threads
Okay "Lawn tractor" or push mower.
Sorry.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry.

The lawn tractor would probably cut twice the width of any pusher mower and do the cutting at greater speed, meaning quicker job completion, so if you are charging by the HOUR you lose money vs. using a push mower. But if you are charging by the JOB, you will earn more because the lawn tractor will let you work faster.

Of course, the additional cost of the lawn tractor would "cut" (pun intended) into your profit from each job. My college age nephew does 4 lawns in his neighborhood using his dad's 44 inch cut Craftsman lawn tractor, it baffles me that some people will pay another person to mow a quarter acre lawn...:confused2:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
44 inch to do a quarter acre? Is there any room to turn around? :wink:

Why not get BOTH used, and use the appropriate machine for the job? :confused:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look into commercial Walk-behind or Stand- on.... :thumbsup:

44 inch to do a quarter acre? Is there any room to turn around? :wink:

Why not get BOTH used, and use the appropriate machine for the job? :confused:

twall is right... space to use a rider is going to be a problem...
& definitely look at used equipment, you can find some fantastic deals if you learn what to look for and keep an eye out to always up grade your machines ...

and to solve the speed and space problem... watch for these type... USED...
Landscape Pro--Exmark Mfg. Inc.
Toro | Commercial Mowers, Landscape Contractor Mowers
John*Deere commercial walk-behind mowers are available for all of your commercial lawn mowing needs
SCAG POWER EQUIPMENT - Commercial Walk Behind Mowers
BOB-CAT Commercial Mowers | Mid-Size Walk-Behind Mowers - View All BOB-CAT Mid-Size Walk-Behind | Compare BOB-CAT Mid-Size Walk-Behind Mowers
HydroCut
Better commercial wide area cut commercial lawn mowers and leaf blowers.
there are others worth considering but these will give you an idea as to what is out there...
If you are looking to do a lot of smallish' spaces... these types will knock them out fast and do a great job... :smile:KennyV

handirifle

Threads
The lawn tractor would probably cut twice the width of any pusher mower and do the cutting at greater speed, meaning quicker job completion, so if you are charging by the HOUR you lose money vs. using a push mower. But if you are charging by the JOB, you will earn more because the lawn tractor will let you work faster.

I do not understand how one would lose money on an hourly rate with a rider. If you charge $30 per hr, as an example, and it takes you 30 min to mow, you earned $15, but that's more time to mow another job. Now if you charge $30 to mow, regardless of time then you may or may not make money. If you charge $30 for the job and it took you an hour and 15 min then you lose money, vs. an hourly rate of $30.

To me, best of both worlds is bid both ways, by job or hr, but hourly rate is higher. Any time I have had work done, that's how they do it, usually they will go hourly for the first time, then quote you a flat rate there after.

To the OP
It depends on how much you have to pay for the rider, vs the push mower and cost for fuel and maintaining them. By the way, if I were going to do it as a business, I'd at least get a self propelled push mower. You will really come to love them on hilly lawns.

Most likely if you get busy, and a variety of jobs, you'll end up needing both. Iff you are doing mostly homes with the 1/4 acre lots, I'd get a self propelled walk behind, and invest the difference in trimmer equipment.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do not understand how one would lose money on an hourly rate with a rider.

Um, in case you DON'T have another job lined up? Simple math. :wink:

@ the OP:

However, if that be the case, I'd go with "weedwack" the whole thing (thread title).....you can REALLY put in the hours that way! Consistency may be lacking, but you sure could whack 'em (pun intended) with a heluva bill at the end........don't expect that job again NEXT week, tho........

As far as push mower/lawn mower, I'd definately make sure I went with a mower. :biggrin: Just sayin - might wanna preview your posts, before you go iPhoning us with :confused:. Or, at least think about it more than 2.5 nanoseconds....:rolleyes:

Just pickin'.....lest I get flamed..........

Last edited: