Weedeater FL25C cutting head freezing up

krismanten

Threads
On a FL25C, the cutting head is starting to freeze up and not turn. It is a detachable 2 piece shaft. It heated up and melted the head earlier. We changed the lower shaft with the head on it about 6 weeks ago and it worked fine and it all of a sudden stopped turning. If you detatch the lower shaft, the cable will turn fine until you screw the lower shaft back on. What could be wrong?

Lawnranger

Threads
I had one of these come into the shop two months ago and I got it running but it also has the same problem as yours. Called the customer and told them about it and that there was a $25.00 bill due and haven't heard from them yet.

My advice is to stay away from any trimmer that has the pull start on the front of the engine. Go by a Stihl, Echo or Shindiawa and be happy with your new trimmer.

krismanten

Threads
It isnt my trimmer and its still under warranty or i would sell her an echo. We sell echos but are also a warranty dealer for wal mart. Could you tell me what you did to fix the one that you had? I have never ran into the problem before.

Lawnranger

Threads
It isnt my trimmer and its still under warranty or i would sell her an echo. We sell echos but are also a warranty dealer for wal mart. Could you tell me what you did to fix the one that you had? I have never ran into the problem before.

Re-read my previous post.

possum

Threads
That looks like the usual Poulan or Weedeater to me. They freeze up and melt the heads because of friction in the bushing assembly either after the grease wears off or when the factory does not put any on or grass goop gets stuck inside the assembly and then cooks on making a higher than usual friction that melts the grease and then the head if you stay with it. Or perhaps it is a combination of all these things. You do not need a new lower shaft you just need to clean and lube the bushing assembly. Unless the one you have is real different than the ones I have used its not a hard fix.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
On my Ryobi there is a plug screw on the gear housing which comes out easily. Put a loose zerk onto the end of a grease gun and butt the flat end of the zerk onto the screw hole. Pump until you feel some resistance. Turn the string head a few times and try another pump. I am ignoring the caveats against mixing greases. I toyed with putting a permanent zerk on, but the ones I have are little pipe threads or larger SAE . The screw I took out seemed metric and smaller. This technique worked without the hassle. Of course the best way is to disassemble, clean and repack.

krismanten

Threads
thank you guys very much for your help