Warm up time

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
My mower doesn't state in the manual how long to warm the engine up for... In fact it doesn't even say to warm it up!

But obviously, me being me, I do.

I usually let it warm up for about 1 minute, but should I warm it up for longer ?

It is a self-propel mower, so I don't want to engage the clutch and put pressure on the engine before it is fully warmed up.

Just like I wouldn't drive a car until it has warmed up a bit.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My mower doesn't state in the manual how long to warm the engine up for... In fact it doesn't even say to warm it up!

But obviously, me being me, I do.

I usually let it warm up for about 1 minute, but should I warm it up for longer ?

It is a self-propel mower, so I don't want to engage the clutch and put pressure on the engine before it is fully warmed up.

Just like I wouldn't drive a car until it has warmed up a bit.

A minute is more than ample. Tell us, though...why do you have such a fixation on trying to preserve a mower for so long? "Is this oil okay? Will I need to repair my carb? Am I warming up my engine long enough?"

JEEZE....While I applaud someone so young who is obviously concerned about keeping their equipment in top condition, do you honestly feel you want to keep this mower the rest of your life?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
A minute is more than ample. Tell us, though...why do you have such a fixation on trying to preserve a mower for so long? "Is this oil okay? Will I need to repair my carb? Am I warming up my engine long enough?"

JEEZE....While I applaud someone so young who is obviously concerned about keeping their equipment in top condition, do you honestly feel you want to keep this mower the rest of your life?
If I can, yes, I will. I don't see the point in spending money when it could be saved.

If I have to replace the mower, I will, but if I can preserve it for as long as possible, I will! :thumbsup:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I can, yes, I will. I don't see the point in spending money when it could be saved.

If I have to replace the mower, I will, but if I can preserve it for as long as possible, I will! :thumbsup:

In today's throwaway society, ie: "toss it and buy a new one" people like you are a rare type, and I applaud that mindset....:thumbsup:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
In today's throwaway society, ie: "toss it and buy a new one" people like you are a rare type, and I applaud that mindset....:thumbsup:
Thanks, that is why I prefer older things, they were made when the general consensus was "buy it, maintain it, and keep it for years".

Black Bart

Threads
I hate the new mowers that don't have a throttle on them.
You pull the start rope and they start wide open.
I always warm up my mower.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I hate the new mowers that don't have a throttle on them.
You pull the start rope and they start wide open.
I always warm up my mower.
Yep, me too. When buying the mower, it was a choice between a cheap store brand mower with a throttle or a well known branded mower without a throttle...

I went for the well known brand!

LandN

Threads
my rider gets warmed up while loading it on the truck or while en-route to the neighbors yard,the s.p. push mower gets no warm up. the second it starts i'm cuttin. :biggrin: same with the blower and trimmer.

benski

Threads
On the stuff I own that has a user choice, I'll warm it up for a minute or two. The rest, I just let it fly.:smile:

Black Bart

Threads
Yep, me too. When buying the mower, it was a choice between a cheap store brand mower with a throttle or a well known branded mower without a throttle...

I went for the well known brand!
Then you have no choice but just run it wide open.
No point in letting it sit and run wide open you may as well be mowing.