Threads
How often do I replace the spark plug?
What is the spark plug model?
Where should I buy it?

Thanks.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
How often do I replace the spark plug? What is the spark plug model? Where should I buy it? Thanks.

I replace spark plugs once a year.
Take the plug out and read it.
You can get a plug at any auto parts store or walmart

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
How often do I replace the spark plug?
What is the spark plug model?
Where should I buy it?

Thanks.

- You need a 13/16 spark plug socket, ratchet, a feeler/thickness gauge to do this job...
- The maintenance schedule says to inspect it every 100 hours (1 year), and replace every 150 hours (2 years).
- The spark plug is an NGK (brand) model BPR5ES, Honda Part number is 98079-55846, list price is $2.98
- Google the part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer
- Here is how to inspect and replace the plug:

hrr2169vkasparkplugrampr_zps0f3b7c12.jpg

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never had to gap or check the gap on it I get the same plug at napa for the same price I replace once a year unless a situation arises where I have to replace again

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never had to gap or check the gap on it I get the same plug at napa for the same price I replace once a year unless a situation arises where I have to replace again

Sorry Robert I seem to be contradicting you a lot lately :(

NJsnapper

Threads
I like to remove the plug on my machines every year and use a fine stainless wire brush on the them to clean em up.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry Robert I seem to be contradicting you a lot lately :(

Honda's specs for inspection and replacement are driven by a few factors, including what the engineers expect the plug life to be, which can affect engine performance, as well as how a worn-out or incorrectly gapped plug can affect exhaust emissions. As far as the Environmental Protection Agency is concerned, the spark plug is indeed part of "the emissions system" and they are very concerned about ensuring customers recognize this fact and keep the engine's emissions output within the certified limits.

While the EPA isn't going to start inspecting and writing "tickets" for homeowner's mowers with incorrectly gapped plugs :)eek:), there is a general push within the small gas engine industry to improve and extend emissions performance, and part of that is making sure existing engines comply to EPA-certified figures for as long as possible.

Straying a bit off-topic here, Honda did announce its first fuel-injected portable generator a few weeks ago; I wonder how long it will be before we see fuel-injection on <200 cc vertical shaft mower engines?