Wake Up Scag Forum!!

Steve0853

Threads
No new posts in over 2 weeks.

I haven't cut any grass in quite a while, but my son and I did do some maintenance last week to get ready for the new season.

Oil change and grease for both Scags and the Grasshopper. New plugs for the Grasshopper. Check tires and air pressure. The blades on all three were changed in October near the end of the season, so they were OK for now.

I had to get a new set of tires (4) for one of the trailers. While we were changing them, checked the bearings, new grease, and tightened them enough to get the wobble out. One trailer still needs a new pigtail for the lights.

Used the Grasshopper pulling the small trailer around the yard while raking pine straw. Pine straw is sorta like government cheese. Everybody wants some, but nobody wants to rake and load.

I raked and hauled 7 trailer loads. About 3 more trailer loads and hopefully I will be done.

I hear some of you up North and Midwest guys may be doing some snow blowing. So far winter has been good to us down here. I hope that means some grass gets to growing in March this year.

Threads
It sounds like you have some good machines!! :thumbsup: Do you have any pictures of your mowers?

Steve0853

Threads
It sounds like you have some good machines!! :thumbsup: Do you have any pictures of your mowers?

I'm ashamed to say that I don't. The Turf Tiger was bought new last August and I've been meaning to get a pic of it before it got to showing too much wear.

If I can, I'll post some pics soon.

Scottyboy

Threads
Cleaned up my scag wildcat. Washed and wiped everything down and cleaned under the deck. Changed the engine oil and filter and hydraulic oil and filter. Put on new air filters and blades. Will be ready for spring and some more mowing.

Threads
Cleaned up my scag wildcat. Washed and wiped everything down and cleaned under the deck. Changed the engine oil and filter and hydraulic oil and filter. Put on new air filters and blades. Will be ready for spring and some more mowing.

awesome.gif :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi troops,
Been a while, computer got hacked and took me a while to clean it up.
Meanwhile my Scag Tiger Cub is in hibernation but it will need a new engine. I haven't chosen a new engine yet but I'm getting closer. The Briggs 26ELS on my machine has had decreasing compression on the L/H cylinder since mid summer and I think that I will replace it before next season. Not happy:mad: with this situation with an engine with just under 500 Hrs but I don't need a mid season failure next season. Not sure what is ailing this engine, had the heads off and didn't see any score marks on the cylinder wall but each successive leakdown test indicates a higher leakage rate than the previous test. I use a carbon softening fuel additive and StarTron faithfully even given it several doses of Sea Foam with no improvement.:thumbdown: If it was a horizontal crank engine I would remove the cyl head and let it soak with internal engine cleaner, but not easy to do with a vertical crank engine unless it is sitting on the work bench!!!!!!
I'm very fond of the Kawasaki on my new Hustler and fond of the Hustler overall. Maybe the orange machine will get replaced by a new yellow machine, just not crazy about spending another $10,000 plus a collection system, oh well, back to repowering!!!!!
Later
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing::smile::confused2:

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Troops,
I'm getting closer to a repower decision and I'm leaning strongly to a Briggs 30 HP with the cyclonic air filtration system. I've been looking for reviews about this engine but haven't found any as yet. I would prefer a Kawasaki FX730 but by the time I buy what is needed to make this conversion I could buy two Briggs 30 HP engines.
I'll soon order the Briggs and make the changeover on my Scag Tiger Cub. I will tear down the original Briggs to see what is ailing it. Spring will be here before I know it and I want to be ready.
Later
Mad Mackie in CT:smile:

xX_Menace_Xx

Threads
i dropped off my old 61" walk behind to the dealer thursday for transmission repair and possible top end rebuild (low compression).
while i was there i talked to the manager about a wildcat he had for sale that was a trade in they refurbished.
not sure if i'll get it but, i want to :)

xX_Menace_Xx

Threads
So the compression on my walk behind read very good.
While i had it there for transmission repair, i had them do a full tune up and replace one of the blade spindles.
And i let them talk me into bringin home that 61" wildcat 0 turn.
runs n looks real good and they hooked me up on a total cost for everything.

jameshobbs

Threads
Re: Wake Up Scag Forum!! My blood runs Orange !

Doing the winter maintenance thing on my 48" Hyrdo walk behind Scag. I have never owned a Kawasaki until this FH500V on this one, I Love it ! Starts right up every time never has used any oil. I hear Kawasaki is proud of there parts
( expensive? ) Put all new belts on it today the old ones don't look too bad , but it's a whole easier changing them in the ( nice warm shop) then on my back in a customers yard and I have spares now !
Put new plugs, Air filter & pre-filter ,Fuel filter, changed Hyrdo oil & filter greased all fittings. Will change oil & filter in the next week or so and I bought a new Velke for it. " it's Orange too"
I need to ( I think seems to slip to much ) replace the rear "drive" tires anyone got advice on what to get 2 ply / 4 ply ? one brand better then the other ? Anyone run Slime Tire Sealant? ( Green Slime ) I used it once on a rusty rim / tire on a trailer still holding air today !