Velocity deck quick question

Sonders

Threads
Just bought a Turf Tiger with 61" Velocity Deck. It has a discharge baffle on it. I removed the discharge shield but wondering what is the purpose of the baffle? My previous 2 machines didn't have this baffle with same deck.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pictures?:laughing:
Machine serial number range?

Sonders

Threads
Haven't had my phone handy yet to get any pictures of it Mackie. S/N: F5900 range with Kaw 29 dfi.

Sonders

Threads
The baffle I'm talking about is #425625 in the parts manual. Assuming mine is LE model. I don't see LE on the mower anywhere unless that means Liquid Cooled?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Sonders,
The baffle is what Scag calls a "turbo baffle" and is installed on newer Turf Tiger machines with higher HP engines. It is available from many on line power equipment dealers from $30 to $70.
It may assist in the exiting of clippings from the discharge chute, but could be another item that collects wet clippings and will need to be cleaned often.
Let us know how it functions as you use your TT.:smile:
Just looked it up in Scag manuals and it is starred as installed on California models!!! Must have something to do with emissions, fire, spread of clippings or cancer!!! In California only!!!
It may have become standard equipment on 61" TT Velocity decks.

Last edited:

Sonders

Threads
For the time being it's removed. There was a big wod of grass clippings caked up behind it, so I removed it while giving the deck underside a good cleaning. I gave it a thorough cleaning and the damn thing looks better now than when I bought it.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just another thing to collect grass clippings onto!!!
Anytime the grass has the slightest moisture content the clippings stick to these spots like glue!!!
I use a collection system most of the time, the front baffle and aft chute small director are collection system specific and always collect clipping buildup. I sometimes remove the blower and go open chute with the plastic deflector but leave the collection system baffling installed and when I make a turn, the clippings fall off the front baffle and make a pile which I have to go back over to disperse. Oh well, I can deal with it!!!
Most of the leaves in my area are still green, but I've already collected over 100 bushels so far at just three places!!! Tomorrow I have to do 3.5 acres with some leaves, about a 4 hour job. I have to blow some of the leaves across a side street onto another spot and then suck them up.
Take care!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Sonders

Threads
Hey Mad Mackie, need your help on deck leveling. I have your write up saved and am trying to verify my route to adjust mine. With mower parked in garage on flat concrete floor and tires evenly aired to 12 psi on rears and solid front tires; deck dropped down to 4" cutting height position, I'm getting measurements on top all four corner of deck as follows: RF- 7.75" RR-7.5" LF-8.0" LR-7.5". The actual blade cutting height measured is showing 3.25" at front of blade cutting edge and just over 3" at back of blade. Whats my route to adjust properly?

Sonders

Threads
Obviously I need to bring the rear of the deck up to get it 1/4" above the front for it to be pitched right. I achieve this by loosening the bolts on both side adjusting rods and adjust the rods accordingly. Then do I use the leveler bolt on left side of deck to get the right side up level with left side or left side down to level with right?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The front lift arms are one piece with the foot lever attached to the R/H side.
The adjustment on the left front lift arm is a fine adjustment for the forward side to side height adjustment.
The rear lift arms are separate and are independent.
The rods connecting from the front lift arms to the rear lifting arms raise or lower the rear of the deck and adjust side to side for the rear of the deck.
The cut height adjustment is the last thing to do.
Generally, the forward blade tip height should be 1/8" to 3/16" lower that the rear.
Correctly inflate all tires, place machine on a flat and relatively lever surface.
Measure the actual blade height with the outboard blades facing forward and aft.
Enjoy!!!

Last edited: