Vanguard 23hp dead

Cajun power

Threads
leaking oil and smoking oil out of the exhaust is not likely a result of a failed head gasket. What I mean is that burned oil coming from the exhaust it usually caused by piston ring blow by...and that can be caused from bad/worn rings, damaged/scored cylinder bore, worn or stepped valve guides/seats. It can also be caused by oil overfill! another condition is a too rich fuel condition. or spark plug gap is not correct.

so a few questions and recommendations:

when you removed head cylinder to replace head cylinder gasket did you inspect the valve guide and check to make sure the valve seats did not step out? did you clean the valves, lap the valve and seats, and clean up the piston top, combustion chamber and inspect for any cylinder wall scores or pitting? This is the standard practice in the big 300 hour service or when you remove the cylinder head...these are things you want to do anytime you have the cylinder head removed....since you have the cylinder head off ...did you check and make sure oil is not overfilled?

if you don't want to remove the cylinder head again, you can do a leak down test...this will tell you lots of things...where the leak down test is failing...or if it is failing at all. If you get leaks pressuring the crank case (crack the oil filler cap off slightly and listen), then it's going to be piston blow by...(bad rings, cylinder or piston damage). If it leaks from exhaust, it's exhaust valve(S) leaking. If it leaks back OUT from the carb, then it's intake valve(S) leaking. There are many videos on youtube showing how to do a proper leak down test. you can rent the gear from nearly any auto store (deposit returned when you return) a leak down test takes a bit of experience and nuance to perform correctly. For instance...you will ALWAYS get some leaks...especially for piston blowby (it's never going to be a perfect seal (be design). It's noticing large leaks that matters. for valve leaks however, there should be NONE. Make sure you are AT TOP DEAD CENTER AND not in the automatic decompression PHASE of rotation. This takes a little practice to notice where that is in rotation. Make sure you have the valve covers off and notice in rotation when BOTH valves are fully shut is the best way to avoid getting fooled into thinking you have a valve problem.

TobyU

Threads
Ok, I think I may have found the problem. The fuel solenoid on my carb seems to be acting up. When the engine was in the mower, I heard a click on when I turned the key on and I thought that was the solenoid working. I took the carb off today and removed the solenoid. Connected it to a 12v power source and nothing. Simply got warm but no movement at all and no click. Part 842109.
Is there any alternative to this part? Looks like $170 if its even in stock anywhere. Found the entire carb for $200 online. Seems like there would be a cheaper solenoid somewhere.
The quickest and easiest test for this is to remove the solenoid and hold your finger on the bottom of the carburetor ball and see if your running problem goes away.
You've already had advice on the quick way to fix it or the little bit harder way on sourcing a short plug of the right threads that will fit in there and seal it off.
A bunch of used carburetors is the best place to source One of these from because when you end up at a parts store looking for something like this the typical drain plugs are too big and the bolts that have the right pitch which is probably somewhere around a metric 8 fine thread, are too long so that's why it's the harder way to do it.
You can get a nut but you'll need a fairly thin one and thread it on and then you can cut off the bolt to the proper length and then take the nut back off to clean up the threads but that's far harder than just snipping off the plunger tip.
Most of these have a pointed pencil plunger but some have a rubber tip.
I've seen a handful of the rubber tips get loose because they become hard and they will vibrate up on the shaft and cause irregular running problems but receipt themselves when the key turns off and the plunger snaps close pushing the rubber back on to the shaft.
Then, it will restart and run fine for a few seconds to maybe a couple of minutes and then repeat the process.
On these, there are ways that I have found that work well to rebond the rubber to the shaft or you can just take the rubber tip off and it will work just fine which is basically the same as snipping off the metal.

Jloven14

Threads
With mowing season behind me, I took a couple months off from this problem engine. Started back on it a couple of days ago. Let me recap as I am still having no success.
B & S 386777-0111E is the model. 168 hours total time. Original problem was a blown head gasket.

Replaced the blown gasket along with the one on the other cylinder head. Cleaned up the piston and other parts. Replaced the plugs and magnetos. Put all back together. Engine would start, run for 30 seconds or so, backfire and quit. Did this 5-6 times. Adjusted valve clearance and checked mags for proper clearance.
After that, engine would not fire at all. Took it to a shop who kept for 4 weeks and could not fix (Don't think they looked at it more than 5 min).
Got it back and replaced the backfire fuel solenoid. Thought for sure this was the problem since the old one would not move with 12v applied. Still will not fire at all.
Was suggested that the engine was out of time. Took the case off and verified timing mark was lined up perfectly. Replaced cover using new gaskets and filled with oil.
Removed the flywheel, key was intact and all was lined up correctly.
Lastly, I swapped the carb out with one on a running duplicate engine, thinking that might be the problem. Still will not hit at all.

I have fire on both plugs (tested with inline testers), compression is good on both cylinders (per the shop), valves seem to be working properly, so I am at a loss as what else it could be. The fact that it will not even try to start makes me think I am not getting any fire on the plugs, but when I remove one and hold it against the engine, I get plenty of fire off of them.
I hate to send this engine to the landfill, but I am out of ideas as to what else it might be. Anyone think of anything else to try?

efred

Threads
I had a mower that quit running, and I discovered that the fuel line before the filter was plugged with spider eggs. Pressured the gas tank, and it shot out. How that danged thing got in there is beyond me. That's very rare and unusual, but apparently I'm the exception.

Cajun power

Threads
Ok, I think I may have found the problem. The fuel solenoid on my carb seems to be acting up. When the engine was in the mower, I heard a click on when I turned the key on and I thought that was the solenoid working. I took the carb off today and removed the solenoid. Connected it to a 12v power source and nothing. Simply got warm but no movement at all and no click. Part 842109.
Is there any alternative to this part? Looks like $170 if its even in stock anywhere. Found the entire carb for $200 online. Seems like there would be a cheaper solenoid somewhere.
I know lots of people use the 9 volt power source, but really this is unnecessary and it can create an illusion of failure. Just use the mower battery!. In this way, you are using the same circuit and battery source it will be using in normal operation (fewer things introduced as possible faults). And then do the test. So just remove the anti back fire solenoid from the carb bowl. Keep it connected to the wiring connector. Insert ignition key and turn from OFF TO RUN (NOT START!). From OFF TO RUN, the ignition switch will send 12 volt power to the antiback fire solenoid circuit (which happens to also be the same safety switch circuit...pay attention to what I just wrote !!!! and think about this). What you should SEE is that the anti backfire solenoid pin should retract back into the body of the solenoid Without power, it remains popped out (effectively sealing against the main fuel jet within the carb). If it does not retract, then turn key back to OFF and with your finger try to depress the pin. Sometimes these pins get corroded with old fuel and gunk and even can have rust withing. If you cannot excercise the pin back into the body, then squirt from wd-40 on that sucker and let it soak...then depress it again. push with the plastic handle of a screw driver if it's really stuck. Does this over and over several times until it freely depresses and pops back up on it's own. if it does not depress or is really hard or will not pop back up, then it WILL NOT MATTER IF THE IGNITION SWITCH is sending power to the device. These damned anti backfire solenoids are notoriously poorly designed and they fail all the time. You have some options. 1 - you replace it and roll the dice that it fails again...it will over time...guaranteed...how soon, who knows..but these will never last. it's a design problem that you just cannot overcome. or 2 - you snip the end of that pin off with side cutters so it is near flat flush cut at the solenoid body. This effectively deletes the problem out of your engine system. You will still install the device and screw it back into the bowl, because that is what holds the bowl in place and you will still hook it up to the connector, because without it, the ignition START will never happen (again, it's part of the safety switch circuit! see I told you this was going to be important..more on this below). if you are concerned with a back fire, just idle down and let the engine cool for a few moments before you turn key to off. In most cases, a properly tuned and timed engine is not going to back fire. (exposing another reason why an anti back fire solenoid is not a very good design...it can actually conceal a poorly tuner carb, air leaks, faulty valves and out of time conditions and even a crappy spark plugs. If you understand how this anti back fire solenoid can hide those performance issues, you are probably starting to get the gist of my recommendation: delete this damned inferior device from your system, even IF it is working.

last note: sometimes a safety switch that is not operating (brake pedal does not depress a swtich, or seat does not depress a switch, or blade engagement lever does not depress a switch, or PTO/take off linkage does not depress a switch can cause some to assume the anti back fire solenoid is faulty. So first make sure all your safety switches ARE WORKING before you make that assumption. You can temporarily bypass safety switches for purposes of troubleshooting. I will not go into detail how to accomplish that..there are literally dozens of youtube videos showing how to. Caution: I DO NOT recommend permanently deleted or bypassing safety switches. Even if YOU are very knowledgeable and safe, you must also understand that someone else might not understand what you have done and if they operate this machine without the safety switches very bad things can happen, really quick. So just be smart and keep your safety switches working and operating. The ONLY reason to bypass them would be to troubleshoot as I explained.

Good luck. you got this!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
https://www.google.com/search?q=B&S...ugYGCAEQARgBugYGCAIQARgL&sclient=gws-wiz-serp
I suggest you purchase Manual above for guidance.
See Vanguard V-Twin OHV Repair Manual above.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Replaced the blown gasket along with the one on the other cylinder head.
When changing the head gasket. did you lap the block head gasket surface and the head? I've never seen one come off, and be flat or near flat. YMMV.

Bertsmobile knows a guy that can make solid core copper head gaskets. Think holy grail of gaskets.

I use Permatex hi-tack spray sealant on most all gaskets. RTV is a thing of the past.

TobyU

Threads
With mowing season behind me, I took a couple months off from this problem engine. Started back on it a couple of days ago. Let me recap as I am still having no success.
B & S 386777-0111E is the model. 168 hours total time. Original problem was a blown head gasket.

Replaced the blown gasket along with the one on the other cylinder head. Cleaned up the piston and other parts. Replaced the plugs and magnetos. Put all back together. Engine would start, run for 30 seconds or so, backfire and quit. Did this 5-6 times. Adjusted valve clearance and checked mags for proper clearance.
After that, engine would not fire at all. Took it to a shop who kept for 4 weeks and could not fix (Don't think they looked at it more than 5 min).
Got it back and replaced the backfire fuel solenoid. Thought for sure this was the problem since the old one would not move with 12v applied. Still will not fire at all.
Was suggested that the engine was out of time. Took the case off and verified timing mark was lined up perfectly. Replaced cover using new gaskets and filled with oil.
Removed the flywheel, key was intact and all was lined up correctly.
Lastly, I swapped the carb out with one on a running duplicate engine, thinking that might be the problem. Still will not hit at all.

I have fire on both plugs (tested with inline testers), compression is good on both cylinders (per the shop), valves seem to be working properly, so I am at a loss as what else it could be. The fact that it will not even try to start makes me think I am not getting any fire on the plugs, but when I remove one and hold it against the engine, I get plenty of fire off of them.
I hate to send this engine to the landfill, but I am out of ideas as to what else it might be. Anyone think of anything else to try?
Are you taking a can of spray carb cleaner and spraying it for 2 to 3 seconds into the intake and then cranking it with the choke open but engine to full running speed??
This is the only way to check one hand the first thing you should do when a mower comes in that cranks but won't start.
You have verified that the engine timing is correct from the camshaft etc and that the flywheel key is good and if you have spark then the only thing left is fuel and or valve problems which could be from valves not seaing but unlikely and could also be from a bad camshaft for the love twist on their spline shafts which many of these engines have.
Both of these are far less common than just not getting fuel through the carb so give it fuel by a can of spray carb cleaner.
It's either going to run or it's going to wet the plug so badly that they will foul out.

Jloven14

Threads
OK, I will try spraying some carb cleaner in the intake and let you know if that works.

Jloven14

Threads
I’m gave up on this project and took it to a mechanic friend last week. He noticed that the entire flywheel seemed to be magnetized. I checked on another mower engine and that’s obviously not the case. Is that normal for the B&s vanguard engine? What would cause that to happen? Should I get a new flywheel?