Vanguard 23hp dead

Jloven14

Threads
I have a 23hp twin vanguard B and S engine with 170 hours. Had to replace the head gasket. Put head back together and set the valves. Ran for 30 seconds or so backfired, and died. Did this 4-5 times. Readjusted the valves and it ran ok. Put the shroud back on the engine and now it will not hit at all. I have fire on plugs (used inline spark tester), compression test shows 120 on both cylinders, and plugs have gas on them. I have used new plugs and new mags. Thought the backfire might have messed up timing so I took case apart. Gears lined up perfectly and flywheel key is in place. Also replaced key switch. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks

Jloven14

Threads
My model number is 386777-0111E if that helps anyone.

Jloven14

Threads
Left cylinder was leaking oil on exhaust. Thought it was coming out of the valve cover but it was head gasket with a piece blown out. Did both of them while I had it apart.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Take your valve covers off and make sure each valve opens and closes, meaning, that they open fully and close fully.

Jloven14

Threads
Would anyone know the part number for the carb rebuild kit for this engine? Engine is 386777-0111e.
Is there an aftermarket carb that I could just pick up for it?

Born2Mow

Threads
Is there an aftermarket carb that I could just pick up for it?
Of course, there are several after-market carbs you can pick up.
Will they help you or be better than what you already have is the question.

Jloven14

Threads
Ok, I think I may have found the problem. The fuel solenoid on my carb seems to be acting up. When the engine was in the mower, I heard a click on when I turned the key on and I thought that was the solenoid working. I took the carb off today and removed the solenoid. Connected it to a 12v power source and nothing. Simply got warm but no movement at all and no click. Part 842109.
Is there any alternative to this part? Looks like $170 if its even in stock anywhere. Found the entire carb for $200 online. Seems like there would be a cheaper solenoid somewhere.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get a small bolt the same thread pitch as the solenoid. Or keep the solenoid and snip off the plunger. Cost is free and will never fail on you again.

Caveat is you use/close an inline fuel shutoff valve one minute prior to you finishing mowing. Cost for this valve is a few bucks. Should be using one anyway on every mower that can fit one.

Cajun power

Threads
Get a small bolt the same thread pitch as the solenoid. Or keep the solenoid and snip off the plunger. Cost is free and will never fail on you again.

Caveat is you use/close an inline fuel shutoff valve one minute prior to you finishing mowing. Cost for this valve is a few bucks. Should be using one anyway on every mower that can fit one.
this^ (snipping is the easiest versus deleting the solenoid)