Valve Caps

cheffy_2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All,

I am getting a little frustrated with a second hand engine I have bought.
15.5hp OHV single cylinder briggs.

Model :
285H77 0173 E1 101701ZA

It didnt want to turn over and didnt have a spark.

I have adjusted the Valve clearance and swapped out the Coil.

Engine Now turns over as it should Sparks as it should.

I have looked for the Compression release bump on the cam and can see it working. The valves move as it should and it ' feels ' like it has good compression. I have cleaned the carb out (for good measure) as it had been sitting for 12 months.
Currently the engine will just not fire up. I have tried the tea spoon of fuel in the cylinder trick.

My next step is pull the head and check the piston and valves.

Before I do I was hoping for some advice as No matter how much i search I want a definitive answer on something.

On the end of he Valve stems ( underneath the rocker arms ) there are no little caps.

In the parts diagram, I can only see 1 pictured. in the repair manual it states replace if fitted, but being a second hand engine I have no idea if they were fitted and lost, or never there to begin with.

I thought ( hoped ) I had a bent push rod, pulled them out but they are both straight, then I checked the length of them.

The Steel 1 ( exhaust ) is slightly longer than the aluminium.

Only information Ive read online is if there is 1 cap fitted it goes on the exhaust, If my exhaust push rod was smaller I would put 1 on it and the rods would end up the same length, and all would make sense, but being as its the alum 1 which is shorter. to my engineers mind it could mean the intake valve isnt opening fully ( ie the thickness of the cap ) not getting quiet enough fuel, but as I say Ive put cleam fuel direct into the spark plug hole.

I may be getting bogged down worrying over something which isnt an issue.
My real question is can any 1 tell me if this engine should have 1 / 2 caps and
If this engine was missing 1 / 2 caps would this prevent it from starting?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That engine does not use any valve caps, from what I can find. This manual may be of some help to you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you IL, I missed that one. Sorry Cheffy for the bad info. Guess I better get another cup of coffee before I post in the morning.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you IL, I missed that one. Sorry Cheffy for the bad info. Guess I better get another cup of coffee before I post in the morning.
Rivets, don't feel bad about missing it. Sometimes the parts locations are not well defined on the schematics. I have had to call up my distributor a couple of times and say I am looking for this part, what diagram is it on.

cheffy_2

Forum Newbie
Threads

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't see it having a big effect on starting. Could possibly effect valve timing slightly due to the rockers hitting the retainers before the valves. Have you checked the flywheel key to see if it is offset or sheared.

cheffy_2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't see it having a big effect on starting. Could possibly effect valve timing slightly due to the rockers hitting the retainers before the valves. Have you checked the flywheel key to see if it is offset or sheared.
Ill put that top of my to do list ( before taking the head off )

Appreciate your support in this!!

Tinkerer200

Threads
Missing caps will have no affect, some were issued with none. Rocker Arm will hit the top of valve steam where the cap would be. Aluminum push rod if shorter will only be by thousandths of an inch and will NOT affect the amount opening, that will depend on the cam shaft lobe. Both valves should open nearly the same, if not, signifies bad cam lobe.
Walt Conner

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They are several reasons they are used. Many of which are important such angle of contact which prevent excessive valve guide. Mushrooming of the stem end. As mention the contact of the spring retainer before the stem that could loosen the retainer clips causing them to wear to a point of failing to hold.

If they are indicated on the IPL I would use them. I wouldn't be questioning the reason of the engineers that design this stuff as they definitely have a lot more experience with the induced problems. As said not all engines have them and some only have them on one of the valves on each head.