Valve Caps

Tinkerer200

Threads
On the heads I have had the rocker arm did not contact the retainers before contacting the valve stem end when they did not have caps. The part numbers of components in heads with and without caps are the same. I think the prime reason for adding caps was to reduce wear and increase time between needing adjustment. Affect angle of contact? How thick do you think these are?
Walt Conner

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not very thick but it is can enough to put a slight side load on the stems.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Not very thick but it is can enough to put a slight side load on the stems.

The problem with these engines has been valve guides slipping mostly due to disregard of the cooling system not due to wear. I have never replaced a valve guide due to wear on an Intek, Actually, valve guides are not a replacement part for these engines. Believe me, side thrust was not a consideration for adding valve caps.
Walt Conner

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Walt then let me ask a question how would you ever replace a guide in the first place since Briggs don't even offer them as replacement parts? And yes I have seen a few with worn valve guides, just have to replace the head when I find them just like those that the guides slip out of place. Now of course knurling the old guides is an option but usually there is a chance the head is also warped.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Walt then let me ask a question how would you ever replace a guide in the first place since Briggs don't even offer them as replacement parts? And yes I have seen a few with worn valve guides, just have to replace the head when I find them just like those that the guides slip out of place. Now of course knurling the old guides is an option but usually there is a chance the head is also warped.

Well I think I said that guides were not replaceable and as I said, I have never seen a worn out guide in all the rebuilds I have done of B&S Intek OHV engines. I was being facetious when I remarked about replacing them.

Also, I have never replaced a head because of a slipped valve guide. I do have a permanent fix I developed as well as some other people submitted to me for resubmitting. Some run from nothing to less than $10 tops. Waste of a customers money replacing a head for slipped valve guide. I have sent the fix to probably well over 100 people on Internet forums over the last many years, probably over 200 with no reports of failure though there probably are some from failing to follow instructions.

By the way, one machinest did make his own replacement guide, another waste of time. Knurling also a waste of time.

Walt Conner

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I tried ring center punching one but it still moved. Maybe a couple spot welds. As for knurling what was the waste of time didn't create enough fiction fit or was it just considered too time consuming.

Oh well I just keep replacing the heads then as the customers are not shy about charging me when I go to their shops.

Tinkerer200

Threads
I tried ring center punching one but it still moved. Maybe a couple spot welds. As for knurling what was the waste of time didn't create enough fiction fit or was it just considered too time consuming.

Oh well I just keep replacing the heads then as the customers are not shy about charging me when I go to their shops.

As I said, I share my repairs and one furnished to me is actually welding in the case of V twins, I guess it might work one singles as well, never tried it on any. IF Interested, Email below, put in proper format.

Walt Conner
wconner5@frontier.com