Valve adjustment???

X-man

Threads
With the video I put on here, does it sound like my valves need to be adjusted? It was running perfectly fine yesterday, then when I started it today, it was making this noise. I don't know if it's either the valves, the cold (11°F), or something else.

My engine is a Kohler Command 15 HP OHV, Model # CV15S

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Id start it up and let it run for 20min or more. Probably just cold engine.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sound like just cold thick oil.

X-man

Threads
But it was this cold yesterday and it sounded perfectly fine.

X-man

Threads
5W-30 Synthetic.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't think its thin oil or valve adjustment. Have you checked the air cleaner or crankcase vent. Valves tighten up when the engine is hot and for cold weather your oil is just fine. Have you been moving or running it in the snow. If so your air cleaner will get snow in it. Another thing check for snow or ice in the flywheel screen? You are from Michigan and I would think it would be the same environment as NY. I move snow with my garden tractor and the cold weather tens to freeze up things. The loose snow turns to water on a hot engine. Now when the tractor sits in a cold garage that water turns to ice.

Threads
I don't think its thin oil or valve adjustment. Have you checked the air cleaner or crankcase vent. Valves tighten up when the engine is hot and for cold weather your oil is just fine. Have you been moving or running it in the snow. If so your air cleaner will get snow in it. Another thing check for snow or ice in the flywheel screen? You are from Michigan and I would think it would be the same environment as NY. I move snow with my garden tractor and the cold weather tens to freeze up things. The loose snow turns to water on a hot engine. Now when the tractor sits in a cold garage that water turns to ice.

Yep that sounds like good advice to me.

X-man

Threads

I believe that's exactly what's happening. For the past 2 days I've been driving it in the snow. Plus it's been real windy so snow has been blowing all over it too. Makes perfect sense.

Right now it's 12 degrees and the wind's blowing. Dumped 3 inches last night.
My tractor is stored indoors.