V-belt recommendations

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Please don’t replace any belts until you go through everything I asked you to check in post #2. If you don’t, you may regret it.
A good Kevlar belt (often blue in color) will last for several years. Belt deflection should be minimal at about 1/2” to 1” at longest point between pulleys. Even a cheap belt will last longer than what you a describing, so chances are high that until the real issue(s) is fixed, you will continue to put new belts on it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A good Kevlar belt (often blue in color) will last for several years. Belt deflection should be minimal at about 1/2” to 1” at longest point between pulleys. Even a cheap belt will last longer than what you a describing, so chances are high that until the real issue(s) is fixed, you will continue to put new belts on it.
Pix are blue , Gates L & G are green, Gates fractional Hp are brown ( both kevlar ) , Sunbelts were white or creamish .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
May have change some here. Pix that are in even inch sizes are Red. Sunbelt in even inch sizes are usually Blue. I sold Sunbelt for over ten years as a dealer.

But the cloth coverings can vary in color so it is important to lookup the belt specs. As for Sunbelt (A&I) Oem Kevlar spec'd belts can be Brown for MTD and White/Cream for AYP or even black for some of the JD belts.

Over the years I learned not to just go by the color but by actual belt specs. And with especially Sunbelt (A&I) can go by what is printed on the belts either. That's why I have 200 inch v-belt measuring tool.

Last edited:

Mrmahovy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I am looking for a recommendation for a belt that will last for my DYT 4000 with the snowblower attachment. Not sure of the belt number. Appears to be a 5/8 x 114. I have tried a few non oem and had dismal results with stretching to the point they fall off or shred. If you happen to know the model # for the belt that would be great. Any help would be appreciated.
www.vbeltsupply.com carries all types and various ranges of standard and heavy duty, along with a fantastic cross reference info. Good prices and quick delivery. Have bought numerous belts over the last 15 yrs for Craftsmen, Cub, and Toro.

Jack17

Threads
Hi Kawabob1,
Your AYP made mower aka Craftsman 917,xxx,xxxx has, if I remember correctly, 1/2" x 93 1/2" deck belt. You've stated in your #1 OP post that you're using something non-OME that is 5/8" by XXX" in size. Check that and make sure that it is, without any doubt a 5/8" in size. Personally, I'd doubt that because if your deck belt starts with 1/2" so is/must be the snow blower belt. Second thing I'd like you to verify is that you're not just using any non-OEM belt for your replacement. Keep in mind that an ordinary V-belts, such as the ones used for wall exhaust fans, cement mixers, etc., don't bend backwards as the lawn mower belts do. Despite the fact that there are of the same size are not interchangeable! Lastly, try to find the 917.xxx xxx model number on your mower and maybe we can match it with the exact snow blow you have, and, consequently, get you the exact belt info you're ISO?

Mad_mat222

Threads
Im a commercial operator and during our wet season could chew a belt in less than an hour if I wasn’t careful. During peak of Covid they were charging $130aud a belt. I then started selling my own. From my experience and feedback it’s usually operator error or wear and tear. Let’s just assume you are not pushing the machine too hard and engaging the pto at the correct rpm range.

And before we go on most belts don’t “stretch” to the point of effecting operation. As already mention check your pulleys. Compare to a new one. Belts sit in the groove in a friction fit. With the amount of dust and grit floating around it’s a wonder they last as long is they do.

A lot of decks on less commercial machines don’t use bearing for things like idler arms pivots. These “pull through” the deck. I’ve never understood why they dont use bearings on a moving part that can’t be greased and is metal on metal. The tension spring also loses tension over time. These two are usually the culprit. A new belt has enough grip too last a couple of hours before it starts to slip.

My experience is that for the most part, the only difference between an OEM belt and a generic option is about half the price.

TobyU

Threads
Pix are blue , Gates L & G are green, Gates fractional Hp are brown ( both kevlar ) , Sunbelts were white or creamish .
And not a one of them are as good as an MTD belt. Don't like the company but they have great belts. John Deere even better.
Craftsman/Husqvarna are decent but not as good.
They 4000 was probably made by AYP/Husqvarna with a 917.....model number so you probably can't find a MTD to meet size spec.

Last edited:

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
One would think kevlar would be the longest lasting.

How many years do belts typically last?