V-belt recommendations

kawabob1

Threads
Hi all, I am looking for a recommendation for a belt that will last for my DYT 4000 with the snowblower attachment. Not sure of the belt number. Appears to be a 5/8 x 114. I have tried a few non oem and had dismal results with stretching to the point they fall off or shred. If you happen to know the model # for the belt that would be great. Any help would be appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you would happen to know the model number of the blower it would greatly help your cause. The good techs on this forum hate to guess, like you, about belt sixes. We look up part numbers and then make recommendations. If you are shredding belts, you need to find out the reason why. Bad pulley, misaligned pulleys, bad auger bearings, improper belt alignment, etc. can all shorten the belt life. Before you blame belt material, make sure you check everything else.

kawabob1

Threads
where would one find the model number on the blower?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most have an ID tag on the blower or the manual.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I bought it used so no manual and I have crawled arounf the thing and came up empty. Thank you though.

If you cannot find a model number in order to know correct belt size, then it is a pure guessing game on belt size. Along with looking at condition of pulleys, etc. you need to be sure the belt is tracking straight on an even plane. How is the belt tension (deflection) at the longest point halfway between pulleys? Is the belt riding correctly in the pulley grooves? How long does the belt last new when installed before it shreds? Does it break in one spot mainly, or tear apart in multiple areas?

kawabob1

Threads
Thanks Tiger, my question is with these questions what are the answers? Regarding deflection, what should it be? I have had the belt that came with the machine last 3 Maine winters while others have lasted less than one storm before they stretched so much they could no longer be used. What I am really asking here is a recommendation for a good belt not so much the reasons why the belt may fail. It is too darn cold right now in Maine to be crawling around on the ground. I can deal with replacing pulleys if need be when it warms back up. I understand this is short sighted but thats what it is for now.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Question are you using Poly belts or Kevlar belts. Poly belt are known for stretching more than 5% as where Kevlars usually has about a 1% stretch factor. And you may have to good 1/2-1 shorter due to pulley wear.

kawabob1

Threads
Question are you using Poly belts or Kevlar belts. Poly belt are known for stretching more than 5% as where Kevlars usually has about a 1% stretch factor. And you may have to good 1/2-1 shorter due to pulley wear.
The ad said kevlar but I really don't think there was kevlar in it as the belt was very stretchy. I did not account for pulley wear, that would mean I could be down to 5/8 x 113" belt.