US Steel Sold

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While those sorts of spending programmes look like a frivolous waste of money there is usually a strategic reason behind them often things like CIA off the books funding for example .
The problem comes from those who do not pay tax
If you get an extra $ 20 a week tax rebate then chances are you will spend it locally, heck you might even buy some better quality USA made tools rather than the HF Chinese junk
If Trump gets an extra $ 20,000 tax rebate he either uses it to buy more shares or another luxury boat , private plane etc etc and in most cases it will be spent overseas
The fastest way to stimulate the economy is to give money to those who do not have any discretionary spending power because they will spend it and spend it locally so it stays in the country
Give it to the top end & they buy another Rolls Royce , villa in Italy, Island off the Greek coast etc etc etc
Then you have company tax
so USS makes a ton of steel for $ 50 & sell it to their distributor for $ 100 of which $20 will be tax.
The distributor sells the steel to Bills Bridges for $ 150 and the government gets another $ 20 tax
Bill builds the bridge & charges the customer $ 200 and the govenment gets another $ 20 so there is $ 60 net tax
However now USS has a wholey owned subsidiary in the Phillipines and they sell the ton of steel to them for $ 50 and get a $ 10 tax credit under the developing nations tax incentive
USS P sells that steel to Bills Bridges for the same $ 150 but the $ 100 profit is made in the Phillipines so the US gets no tax
Bill builds the bridge and sells the steel for $ 200 so the government ends up with $ 10 of tax in place of the $ 60
This is how transfer pricing works and how it robs the US government of tax revenue .

Then you get really shady deals like apple USA sells the Apple trade mark & logos to Apple Ireland for $ 1,000,000 .
Then every year Apple US sends apple Ireland $ 700,000,000 in tax free royalties for use of the Apple trade marks on phones & shit they sell in the USA every year .
so the government has lost $ 200,000,000 of tax money ( actual figures from around 2000 ) now add Microsoft, Intel, IBM, Adobe, Snap On, Mc Donalds etc etc etc and you can see why there is such a big national debt .
And it gets worse
Every second of every day currency traders by & sell US $ for all sorts of currencies and make astronomical daily profits and we are talking trillions , not millions or even billions and there is no tax on the profits , not one cent .so that is money that USS could be investing in new steel plant but instead it is with hedge funds going round & round & round the world and every time it gets converted some one makes a killing that is 100% tax free
next we have partnerships . legal firms & consultants , again not taxed on the initial payment the customer makes so by the time the 700 billion that the US government pays to Price Waterhouse gets all of the total BS deductions , like $ 100/page for photocopying a 5,000 page report sent to 50 partners , the tax the US government gets is... almost nothing .
So who is left holding the can for everything, the saps on PAYE wages who are on the lowest rates in the country

and that my friend is the real problem with the economy
You have government over the poor by the rich & power full for the benefit of the rich & powerful
and every year it gets worse , your spending power decreases, you get sick and either you become bankrupt or get tossed out into the street because the hospital has no money to treat you .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
If ran my household like the US government I would be homeless. It is not just one political party either that is at fault for the mess we are in; it is all of them. Just look how they sit of their fat backsides and do nothing until the very last minute. Most of us got to work at things all the time not just at the minute. Most of the year I work my backside off. Now of course there a month or so there is nothing to do in the business but that when doing most my personal stuff like home repairs.

Just look how are doing on the immigration issue. They should have been working that years ago. We need our 40+ yr old immigration laws update to deal with the modern day issue; not the 70's and 80's issues.

As for our debit we need to both cut down on the spending at the same time stop all the tax loop hole cheats out there which would increase our revenue. Everybody should be paying their fair share. So far in my lifetime we only had one time the US has been out debit and that was when Jimmy Carter was president. And the very next president put us right back in debit.
I thought Jimmy Carter was the worse president in US history that is until Biden came along? I remember gas rationing and high inflation.

upupandaway

Threads
So if China comes along and offers to buy a company for more than the current stock value of the company, guess what? They gotta sell to them. That's the law.
Not really... If they want to stop the sale, there are many ways to prevent it. From "flip-in" to "flip-over" to c-share stock owners can have a large enough share, etc to name a few.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I thought Jimmy Carter was the worse president in US history that is until Biden came along? I remember gas rationing and high inflation.
Unemployment is down
Post covid inflation is down
Oil price is down
US oil production is up
GDP is up
so where is the problem , apart from a functionally broken political system ?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unemployment is down
Post covid inflation is down
Oil price is down
US oil production is up
GDP is up
so where is the problem , apart from a functionally broken political system ?

Inflation isn't actually down. It's only been adjusted.

Oil production and prices are due to the oil companies and the futures market. Not the government. I get a kick out of the people that think the president has anything to do with either of those.

The political system isn't broke for republican and democrat politicians. It's right where they want it to be. It's broken for us independents. But those of us who are truly independent, are a tiny minority with no real political party to support.
I support fiscal conservatives. And there's only a handful of those in DC. There a lot who claim to be conservative (Trump, McCarthy, Johnson & McConnell. But they're not. They only identify as conservatives.
A good example of this is how the GOP is claiming they're not going to fund much of the Ukraine war. But somewhere in the dead of night, the Senate got a bill that funds billions to Ukraine. It's in the Senate right now.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just take a look at this list. It appears the conservative republicans had the biggest debit increases after Jimmy Carter. So far we have just under 9% debit increase under Biden when compare to Trump which had over 40% increase in debit. I think Biden has done a pretty good at keeping the increase to a minimum so far.
View attachment 67518
11 > https://fiscaldata.treasury.gov/datasets/historical-debt-outstanding/historical-debt-outstanding

Trump is a con artist. Biden is your typical career politician. Neither are good for the country. We down to supporting those who don't suck as bad as the last guy.
It's funny how the GOP always campaigns on fiscal conservative policies. But never fulfill any.
Trump promised to cut so much spending that he was going to zero out the national debt. LMBO. And what's worse, his worshippers never held him accountable for anything.
When he assaulted our 2A, they didn't say a word. When he started spending all that money and increasing the debt ceiling, they didn't say a word. When all those jobs didn't come back, they didn't say a word. I could list 100 other things they didn't hold him accountable for.
But honestly, it's partly the democrats fault. All these witch hunts they've been on since 2018, have turned Trump into a martyr. If they'd have just kept their mouths shut from 2018 to 2020, Trump might not have even won his party's primary.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think the main problem is people only hear what they want to hear and ignore the rest. This is why I try to stay out most discussions related to either politics or religion. It just causes a lot bad feelings.

As one guy here locally once said if you want to know when a politician is lying, just look for their lips moving.

So much trouble in this world is caused by politics and religion. Man will never have total peace on this planet as long either one is around. They will always be fighting over which is the right way to go. Otherwords they have one finger up their butt hole and one in the mouth and they would rather fight than remove both.

But in general it is best to leave a hornet nest alone than start poking it. For as soon you start poking it you are in for a world of hurt.

With that guys have a safe rest of the year. Personally I staying home just to stay out of trouble and play a lot of Sudoku.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think the main problem is people only hear what they want to hear and ignore the rest. This is why I try to stay out most discussions related to either politics or religion. It just causes a lot bad feelings.

As one guy here locally once said if you want to know when a politician is lying, just look for their lips moving.

So much trouble in this world is caused by politics and religion. Man will never have total peace on this planet as long either one is around. They will always be fighting over which is the right way to go. Otherwords they have one finger up their butt hole and one in the mouth and they would rather fight than remove both.

But in general it is best to leave a hornet nest alone than start poking it. For as soon you start poking it you are in for a world of hurt.

With that guys have a safe rest of the year. Personally I staying home just to stay out of trouble and play a lot of Sudoku.

Every war that's been fought in this century was started by a government. So I agree, completely.