Upgrading my mower

Threads
I guess I'll start by demoing a Commercial 30 sometime in the spring.....and go from there.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess I'll start by demoing a Commercial 30 sometime in the spring.....and go from there.

If your worrying about the drive belts on the WB as being an issue when it's wet don't worry because most all your belt drives are adjustable. CC uses waht they called there Vari_Touch foot control so yo could adjust or increase belt pressure from like 8 to 24lbs for better traction.

Threads
If your worrying about the drive belts on the WB as being an issue when it's wet don't worry because most all your belt drives are adjustable. CC uses waht they called there Vari_Touch foot control so yo could adjust or increase belt pressure from like 8 to 24lbs for better traction.

OK. I might also demo the Exmark Metro 36, not because I want the Exmark, but because the Toro equivalent to that is what I am thinking about, but the Exmark dealer is more convenient to demo from. And that will give me a feel for what a commercial walk behind feels like, because I only have experience from the Billy Goat I bought...and returned (pic below).

Billy Goat.jpg

Threads
The main reason I want to upgrade my mower is because I want to be able to expand a bit, which I am unable to do successfully due to it taking 45 min to an hour on a lawn. And the one lawn I do is over half an acre, so it takes me too long to feel like I am making a profit (though I charge accordingly).

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
The main reason I want to upgrade my mower is because I want to be able to expand a bit, which I am unable to do successfully due to it taking 45 min to an hour on a lawn. And the one lawn I do is over half an acre, so it takes me too long to feel like I am making a profit (though I charge accordingly).

You are probably making a profit. And probably an acceptable one since a 21" mower has less overhead. Once you whip out a 36" you will be faster and do the lawn in less time, but overhead will be a little higher. So it boils down to how fast do you want to go.

Anyways, I'd say if you have to dish out the greens to go with a 36".

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

If your wanting to upgrade your mower because you want to be able to expand I don't think I'd go 36" first and certainly not a walk behind. If you buy the 36" first you are just going to turn around in another year and buy a 48" or 54" ZTR. The 48" or 54" ZTR is where you will see your most gain in productivity. The thing is with the 30" or 36" walk behind mower your still walking/pushing a mower and your gain will be minimal. You've already covered your push mower needs with what you have so maximize for your biggest gain in productivity and then you'll start making money. Again you do what you want but like I said before, I've done what your wanting to do and it doesn't work, I found the 30" is more productive than the 36" because it's easier, more maneuverable and faster than the 36" for those reasons.

Threads
If your wanting to upgrade your mower because you want to be able to expand I don't think I'd go 36" first and certainly not a walk behind. If you buy the 36" first you are just going to turn around in another year and buy a 48" or 54" ZTR. The 48" or 54" ZTR is where you will see your most gain in productivity. The thing is with the 30" or 36" walk behind mower your still walking/pushing a mower and your gain will be minimal. You've already covered your push mower needs with what you have so maximize for your biggest gain in productivity and then you'll start making money. Again you do what you want but like I said before, I've done what your wanting to do and it doesn't work, I found the 30" is more productive than the 36" because it's easier, more maneuverable and faster than the 36" for those reasons.

When I say expand I really mean be able to accept more lawns. Not really different types of lawns. I don't really want to mow larger lawns, I just want to be able to cut my mowing time so I can accept more customer's that have lawns the 0.25 acre size I am used to, or maybe even smaller. I just need to be more efficient at each lawn. And yeah I am of course thinking farther into the future and thinking of a 48 in zeroturn, but I really can't not spend that much money at this point.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I say expand I really mean be able to accept more lawns. Not really different types of lawns. I don't really want to mow larger lawns, I just want to be able to cut my mowing time so I can accept more customer's that have lawns the 0.25 acre size I am used to, or maybe even smaller. I just need to be more efficient at each lawn. And yeah I am of course thinking farther into the future and thinking of a 48 in zeroturn, but I really can't not spend that much money at this point.

When I say or talk about the most gain in productivity that's what I'm talking about, taking on more accounts. In order to do that you have to have the mower to do it with. A 36" walk behind for the lot size your talking about isn't going to give you the productivity gain your trying to find. I spent more time using or mowing a lawn with that G1336 than I did with my 21" cub cadet. Stop and think about what you're trying to accomplish? Just because something is or has a little wider cut doesn't necessarily make it faster. Spend your money once and you'll save a ton in the long run.

Threads
When I say or talk about the most gain in productivity that's what I'm talking about, taking on more accounts. In order to do that you have to have the mower to do it with. A 36" walk behind for the lot size your talking about isn't going to give you the productivity gain your trying to find. I spent more time using or mowing a lawn with that G1336 than I did with my 21" cub cadet. Stop and think about what you're trying to accomplish? Just because something is or has a little wider cut doesn't necessarily make it faster. Spend your money once and you'll save a ton in the long run.

Ok that makes me think. Thanks. That's why a demo will be beneficial.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
V-Ride... Check that out.

A lot of LCO's use 36" mowers and also ZTR's. It really depends on what kind of yards you have. Fl is different than where you are. And where I am is different too. A 36" has it's advantages too.

Try out a few mowers, both 48" and 36" and see what suits you. The decisions is up to you.