Upgrading my mower

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
But the thing is I am always cutting too much grass off. The only time I follow the 1/3 rule is once the grass starts slowing down in like October.

Well there is your problem. Your just like me you have to many accounts to maintain them properly. You need to do what your trying to do but are afraid to do, take the plunge. If you take the plunge you'll find your productivity rate will increase with either the 30 or 36, you'll get to your clients more often and each time you get there you'll cut less grass and your job will be easier and faster than with your Honda you're using now.
The HONDA is a good mower no doubt but it has it's place and commercially isn't it.

Threads
Well there is your problem. Your just like me you have to many accounts to maintain them properly. You need to do what your trying to do but are afraid to do, take the plunge. If you take the plunge you'll find your productivity rate will increase with either the 30 or 36, you'll get to your clients more often and each time you get there you'll cut less grass and your job will be easier and faster than with your Honda you're using now.
The HONDA is a good mower no doubt but it has it's place and commercially isn't it.

I don't have too many accounts, it's that people don't want me to come every 4 days. They want me to come every 7 days, and with rain they can be pushed off sometimes. I would gladly come twice a week, it would be a heck of a lot easier on myself and my equipment.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't have too many accounts, it's that people don't want me to come every 4 days. They want me to come every 7 days, and with rain they can be pushed off sometimes. I would gladly come twice a week, it would be a heck of a lot easier on myself and my equipment.

:smile: That's your fault. I used to think these LCO's were crazy when they said that if I take over your lawn it becomes mine to do and there client has nothing to say about it but I soon found out it's the only way you can keep them a good looking lawn. You need to call the shots and tell them how often and when your going to mow and why. If you let them call the shots you make less money and work twice as hard to get it. I know it sounds harsh or bad but the company you run belongs to you and you call the shots not your clients. I tell my clients when estimating the job it's once a week and if they start with well what I'd like is....... I say I have a schedule to keep and if you want that find the kid down the street.

Threads
:smile: That's your fault. I used to think these LCO's were crazy when they said that if I take over your lawn it becomes mine to do and there client has nothing to say about it but I soon found out it's the only way you can keep them a good looking lawn. You need to call the shots and tell them how often and when your going to mow and why. If you let them call the shots you make less money and work twice as hard to get it. I know it sounds harsh or bad but the company you run belongs to you and you call the shots not your clients. I tell my clients when estimating the job it's once a week and if they start with well what I'd like is....... I say I have a schedule to keep and if you want that find the kid down the street.

Yeah luckily none of my customers want it bi-weekly or anything like that. I think if I tried to get customers that lived in a little bit of a poorer area, then I would have problems with that. But still every 7 days in the spring is too long.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah luckily none of my customers want it bi-weekly or anything like that. I think if I tried to get customers that lived in a little bit of a poorer area, then I would have problems with that. But still every 7 days in the spring is too long.

Seven days isn't to long if you have the mowers to do it with and either the 30 or 36 will do every seven days if your keeping them cut at 3 to 3 1/2 inches.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree
Some times 7 days is to long.
We have yards we do once a week.
Last June/July grass was growing 5 to 6 inches a week.

Threads
Seven days isn't to long if you have the mowers to do it with and either the 30 or 36 will do every seven days if your keeping them cut at 3 to 3 1/2 inches.

My mower can handle it, I'm just saying I cut for than a 1/3 of the height off.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
My mower can handle it, I'm just saying I cut for than a 1/3 of the height off.

The Trouble with that 1/3rd thing is what happens if it grows twice that from the last cut? You have to remember the higher you cut grass the faster it grows. The 1/3rd thing is a rule of thumb for a homeowner who can cut every four days like you say needs to be done. When you as a professional should cut the recommended heights for the type of grass your cutting. All grasses have recommended cutting heights. That's how you stay ahead of the game. Cutting at the recommended heights gives you more time between cuts.